Sand Boa Traits - Category upgrade! [DONE] [1556]

I would have to argue that this proposal is an oversimplification to a fault. Specifically referencing that snow is not a standalone recessive trait, it is a combo. And I am not aware of calico being proven an inheritable recessive trait to this point. I would love to be proven wrong on the latter though, as calicos are interesting and gorgeous.

the calico yes I agree I could do with out the calico all together. the snow is a combo and it is also recessive. if you breed a snow to a snow it produces all snow making it recessive. as far as over simplification the rest of the morphs left out are just variations of the the parent morph or not 100% proven and understood genes therefore not making them a stand alone gene.

1 Like

sand boas are not ball pythons and I personally would like to keep it that way. if we catogorize every combination we are creating more confusion than we are getting rid of. A spade is a spade, call it what is. I mean I can think of ten snow combinations alone. and that s the same for every single morph out there. there would literally be a list of over 100 combinations if we listed the all and thats ridiculous. this needs to be easy for our customers to find what they want as well as easy for us as sellers to inventory.

1 Like

sorry a quick edit,
blonde albino is a line bred trait as well

While you aren’t wrong about the outcome, that logic will create a slippery slope. For example, “if you breed a normal to a normal it produces all normal making it…recessive?” No.
Snow is a trait combo and should be labeled as such.

What better way to make it easy for customers and sellers alike than to stick with the categorization system already in place of “trait combos”. The snow combo for every other top category snake is not found under the list of “genes and traits” but under the list of “trait combos”. Switching it up for just sand boas would be counterintuitive to your goal of easing confusion. While I’m totally on the same page of not wanting sand boas to be on the level of ball pythons in varying classifications, the individual building block genes still need to be recognized.

I just don’t see the need for so many categories. but also I pose a question. why are we pushing to have this category upgrade done? when and if that happens we will all have to start paying for a subscription to sell, just saying? I mean im all for paying for a service but why rush it lol

1 Like

I can’t speak for others, but personally I see a potential subscription fee associated as similar to paying for advertising ie. a billboard. As long as the fee isn’t excessive, I see it as an opportunity to raise exposure and accessibility, thus driving sales. At this time you’ve gotta dig a bit (not much I know) which can lose those few more potential eyes on your product.

1 Like

so who is pushing this agenda and how close is it to being a reality. I read the post from the title but it all seems to point to not even close to happening yet

The categories that we have chosen to update in this round have been chosen by popularity. While I understand your thought heres, we regularly get requests for these categories to be improved and more detailed. Sand boas being one we have had a lot of feedback towards.

While this may cost a membership fee for some breeders in the future, our highest plan is $35/a month. With the category promotion in place and in turn driving sales, that should be a awful lot easier to afford for breeders that soley work with these categories. And this is still a option, a store can always list up to 3 animals at a time without a membership. Animal number 4 could easily pay for the highest membership plan alone.

There is also a lot of work that goes into updating and keeping the site running smoothly, customer service, dispute management, keeping genetic info all correct… Etc etc etc. There is a huge list of work that goes on behind the scenes.

Honestly and completely unbiasedly (I make no money from memberships) I think the membership plans are extremely fair priced. Most breeders that will need a plan likely already have one,so this won’t be anything other than a added tool for them to use to sell their animals.

Well this stage here is where we are putting together trait lists, once the community feels that we have the right information then there are a few small steps between but it wont be long before you see it go live.

2 Likes

What is your current list of traits.

1 Like

Here it is as of now, right @eaglereptiles?

1 Like

VPI line is not necessary, there is only one type of paradox. there is no albino if you are going to term one as bell albino. blonde albino is a line bred trait ( thats per warren treacher ), Gene X is a unproven gene that is still being worked out. flame is a locality not a gene. vanishing is still being proven out. Ive never heard anybody refer to a sand boa as aberrant. Thermo nuclear is a combo of a Stockwell nuclear line bred to a Dodoma. Dodoma / flame is just a cal flame, no need to explain it. extreme red ive never heard of but it sounds like a cal flame. P3 is not projected to be a line bread trait but is still not proven so shouldn’t be included. tiger does not need to have its own category. it just means that there is ruffi influence.

2 Likes

also Dodoma and rufecens is a locality.

1 Like

Neon is not what a double visual albino paradox/albino is, it is called JPB (Jenny Paradox Bell) produced originally by Jennifer Elliott in 2015. Jeff Holloway has been actively posting them and originally attempted to name them Neons, however, he consented that Jennifer Elliott produced the first visual JPB before he did (his produced in 2017) and that she had the right to name it. They are not called Neon. Please check with both of these breeders if you would like to fact check.

3 Likes

Thank you. You are correct. I produced the first one in 2015. Jeff Holloway produced his first one in 2017. We both agreed that i had the right to name them. I named them Jenny Paradox Bell. They are not called neons. All proof can be provided.

5 Likes

I actually produced the first double visual of albino and albino paradox. Jeff and i have already compared dates. His was 2017 and mine was 2015. He has agreed that i was in right to name them, Jenny Paradox Bell. They are not called “Neons”

5 Likes

Blonde Albino is not line bred. It is recessive. Multiple people have produced them from breeding a visual to a het.

2 Likes

Jeff Holloway has been working with Gene X for years and if he says it is a separate gene I trust in this. Also I personally bred 2 non Gene X hets together and produced Gene X babies. Thermo Nuclear is supposedly different from Nuclear Meltdown which is a Dodoma cross with a Nuclear. Thermo Nuclear is from Steve Beamer. As for P3 I have produced them 3 times now so it is able to be replicated. Visual P3 back to mother produced more visual P3s. Mother is a normal Anery. Also Vanishing has been around for years and multiple people have produced them. John Zimmo was the first person to produce them.

3 Likes

As for blonde albinos talk to warren. It’s a line bred albino. That’s his words not mine. Being that he is basically is the one that has brought them to the forefront I’d say he has say in what they are. As far as gene x yes it’s been reproduced but it’s still not understood there for not proven. It’s believed to be able to separated from the paint gene. Thermo nuclear is a cross for visual appearance making it a line bread as well. P3 yes your the authority on that but you have also stated your still working on the project and you belive it to be more of a recessive trait. Being that you haven’t said it’s 100% then it’s still been proven correct? And as far as the vanishing yes they’ve been produced for years in small numbers but no body knows for sure what the gene is or fully understands it, so not proven. Unproven genes should not be on the list.

2 Likes

Look im not trying to say these genes aren’t real or anything like that, im just not to make categories that we may have to change due to new developments.

2 Likes