Scale rot in ball pythons

I did, they are fully informed of the condition of the animal, and i also intend to give them an update after the vet visit so they know what it is. If its not to expensive im not going to bother, but if its up there, ill probably at least see if they will cover the cost of treatment.

4 Likes

Im sorry for using the photo without direct permission, but its important for comparison, it seems like the snake wasnt fed since i made the purchase and they were holding it. The seller bought it october last year, i bought it in december, and it shipped last week. Attached is the listing photo where she actually looks healthy. (Im sorry staff if not allowed, i know there are rules for this, and i should ask the sellers permission)

Before

1 Like

So just got the verdict. Vet confirms early stages of scale rot. Although it usually affects the neck and belly, it can cause blisters all over, it is simply that the belly and neck are usually the parts most exposed to constant moisture.

They are giving her an injection of antibiotics but say otherwise continue to do exactly as i am currently doing and that it is working very well and she should continue to improve.

They do not suspect sepsus, but if there is, the injection should help that. As for feeding they believe the stress from the infection is likely the cause.

Hope this helps others if they have the same situation!

5 Likes

Sorry had to work it a bit to remove personal info

4 Likes

Glad to hear itā€™s just a very unusual case of scale rot. Injectable antibiotics will definitely cover her from any possible infection spread, so now itā€™s just healing and relaxing for her.

Itā€™s a great learning experience, especially since it was an atypical presentation. Hopefully the antibiotics and time lead to a voracious appetite return and she starts regaining weight. She got very lucky with you, being as thorough as you are despite her arriving with issues, so Iā€™m sure youā€™ll have her eating, gaining weight, and in good shape in no time.

Let us know how she gets on!

3 Likes

I really hope so! She is just so friendly and stunning that it would be an absolute shame if she passed from her prior care. I will do everything i can to give her the best chance possible for recovery :slight_smile:

I definitely appreciate all the advice and well wishes from everyone!

4 Likes

Get home to check on my dog that was acting off yesterday to him having a swollen belly. 2300$ later, and am now waiting for a diagnosis as to why his chest and abdominal cavities are full of fluid, and the options are all cr*p :(. Such is life as a pet ownerā€¦

Ascites in Dogs.

Hoping for infection so its treatable, the rest really arent.

I know its off topic, but literally went to the vet with him right after getting home with my girl i just brought in.

4 Likes

It is fine that this off topic. I feel horrible for you, I hope that things start to look up. There were many prayers said for your ball pythons, I will do the same for your dog too. I am sorry that you are having to go through this.

5 Likes

I am so sorry to hear that. My family had a dog a few years back that had similar issues and I know how bad the prognosis can be. Sending all the healing thoughts to you and your animal family, it seems youā€™ve just had quite the streak of bad luck recently. Hopefully things start looking up, but kudos to you for being so caring and involved, Iā€™m sure your pup and your pythons appreciate it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry. :frowning: Itā€™s awful that so many of your animals are having medical issues all at once. Itā€™s stressful enough dealing with one sick or injured baby, dealing with multiple sick or injured babies is an outright nightmare. Iā€™m sending lots of good thoughts to you, your snakes, and your doggo. I hope everyone makes speedy and complete recoveries. :green_heart:

3 Likes

Appreciate it, im just glad i brought him in. The reception person on the phone said not to and to keep my saturday appointment saying if his stomach was soft instead of hard, that it wasnt bloat amd recommended trying to feed him rice and chicken. But i know my animals, and i know when things arent right, so i brought him in anyways, and its darned good i did. Even if he passes, at least i know it wont be in agony or while suffocating because i did nothing.

5 Likes

I dont know how much the damger noodles feel about me, but i know that my pups all love me, and im sure he was very relieved to have the fluid drained. I can take solace that if i do need to have him PTS that it will be a better death than if i had done nothing.

I also joke about the snakes, no animal likes to suffer, so even id the emotionally arent as connected, im sure getting treated lowers stress and prevents vast suffering :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I really appreciate it! I will update once i have further news. For now they drained the fluids so he isnt in as much distress, but its likely only a temporary fix as its a symptom and not the disease, so will need ti figure out how to prevent it from filling back up. And if its krgan failure, have him PTS so he doesnt end up with prolonged suffering.

4 Likes

Follow up, vet called back, its carconomatosis (fatal cancer with no chance of recovery). So im going in to have him PTS so he doesnt have prolonged suffering. If i had waited til Saturday for his vet appointment he would have suffered significantly before likely passing before getting seen.

Definitely glad i didnt even attempt to go to work today.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s horrible! Iā€™m so sorry that you have to go through this. Iā€™m glad that you were observant and able to catch it early so he didnā€™t suffer.

3 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry to hear that. Iā€™m glad he doesnā€™t have to suffer more than necessary.

4 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry, I was really hoping it would be better news. I hope you can at least take some solace in knowing that your care and vigilance prevented him any prolonged, unnecessary suffering. But I know that having to say goodbye to a beloved pet always sucks, even when you know you did everything you could for them. Itā€™s the worst part of keeping and loving animals.

4 Likes

I am so sorry that they didnā€™t have better news for you. When you get to that point (carcinomatosis), itā€™s just everywhere, so youā€™re 100% making the best decision for your boy. On top of that, theyā€™re really good at hiding things, so donā€™t worry that you did anything wrong or missed something. Itā€™s the same thing we lost my sisterā€™s dog to, and Iā€™ve seen where it goes if you try to hold out on having them PTS. Itā€™s always so hard to lose a dog, because they just love unconditionally. Iā€™ll keep you and your animals in my thoughts. Donā€™t forget to take care of yourself right now, too.

3 Likes

That is so terrible! Really really was hoping for the best of news. Our thoughts are going out to your pets that you donā€™t have any more problems :slight_smile: :face_with_head_bandage:

To be honest, losing a dog really is hard. :sob:

3 Likes

Oh Iā€™m so sorry. Sending all our love from me and my dog and little snake. I know how hard it can be to make that call and let them rest, and judging by how you take care of your reptiles, that dog knew he was well loved. You did the best you could. Take it easy for a while, and hang out with other people who understand itā€™s never ā€œjust a petā€.

5 Likes