Scaleless Snakes

Agree with @spottedbull. We only use pall pythons. They are more laid back, slower moving and don’t mind being handled. If scared, they ball up before doing anything else.
After our fist visit/showing, I wanted to do more. Not knowing how to get started, I would just talk the the teachers from timt to time. I eventually told them I can do it again and it would not be an issue. Here I found out that they really wanted me to come back each year but did not want to ask. Turned out it was an easy tuning to setup as they really enjoyed it and liked how the kids reacted.

4 Likes

Sorry @spottedbull I did not mean to hack your past. I am also looking into scaleless ball python to also take with me, and other uses. I took my scales head pied this year and they loved it.

4 Likes

@d_y_python Duane, I was thinking of ball pythons myself because I have several sweethearts that I would feel comfortable showing…… :blush:

4 Likes

Yeah, we use our ball python as well. Usually we do 3 snakes and 3 lizards: grey banded kingsnake, boa and ball python then leopard gecko, crested gecko and a blue tongue skink. Then if there is tine we talk about bioactive enclosures and isopods. Plus we also have a baby hognose and a grouchy cornsnake that wasnt loved on enough as a child thatbwe are working to add to the rotation.

5 Likes

Sounds like a great combination/group to teach with! My crestie is a little sweetheart too so that would be another option. Actually all my guys are very well behaved so I would have a variety to choose from myself! :blush:

3 Likes

We used to do small cuddly mammals at the end. We had a pair of dwarf rabbits, ut keeping them inside was a nightmare. (Too many coyotes where we live.) And we used to take a hedgehog as well. But the reptiles are just easier.

3 Likes

I saw some cute little hedgies at the pet store I go to for 199 and change but I walked away! :joy: Yes I agree that reptiles would be way much easier!

3 Likes

I’ve had the pleasure of sharing many corns with many, many people over the years. I’ve had them as classroom pets, done educational and outreach things ranging from a handful of kids to thousands in a day. I can happily declare many of mine bomb proof. There are particular family lines which have been just outstanding for such things. I would recommend beginning with a yearling or older, partly because small ones can be quick and can be injured if they take a fall, partly because kids are kids. But I can absolutely vouch for corn snakes as education animals!
Edit: I’ve also had the pleasure of sharing a lot of other critters with kids, with scales and fur and fine and more. Nothing at all against BPs or kings as outreach animals, had the pleasure of both. Others are fine, too. Just really adore my corn snakes!

3 Likes

@caryl our first outreach snake was a cornsnake! One of the most photographed snakes ever. We took him everywhere. We were his third family. And we estimated him to be about 13 when we lost him. Here are a few old, bad pictures of him.

5 Likes

Aww, nice! He looks like a very good boy. I swear, some of them are so much more personable than many people can believe. They can be very curious and interactive.

3 Likes