We are about to drop another feature, and I am giving the forum the chance to preview it and give feedback. The feature is to provide search options when typing into a search. There are many benefits to this new feature:
- You can avoid typing an entire phrase if you choose the corresponding option
- It helps you discover what kinds of things are on the site, including categories and traits
- It introduces the ability to search for not just ads but stores from the primary search box
To enable the new feature add this parameter to the web address: https://www.morphmarket.com/us/?autocomplete=1. After you search you’ll need to backup or the next page won’t have that option, or you can add it to that address too.
Here’s a phrase “Spi” which shows all suggestion types firing:
The types of suggestions:
- You will note that the first options suggest Ad searches around Categories and Traits.
- Below that, it suggests searching stores in different categories.
- Also, if 3 or fewer stores match, it will give “Direct Hits” enabling you to go directly to their store page.
- Finally, there is an ad and store search which use the exact phrase that you have typed in.
Some more details:
- Clearly we are limited to how many results that can be shown. Frequently there will be too many matches for traits. Type “Alb” and there are way too many kinds of albinos. Navigating to a subcategory like Leopard Geckos will focus the results on LG kinds of things.
- Not all stores will show up in the Direct Hit type results. The rules are the same as used in the store directories. No empty stores except member stores which are shown at the top level. Store Directory is also a premium feature so free sellers of mature categories aren’t included.
- A BUG: Right now there is one severe bug, involving Android Phone with Chrome browser. If you try to scroll down, it will fire off a search which is not one you chose. We’re looking into solutions for this but the bug isn’t in our code. In the worst case we might have to limit to 7 options, but with our upcoming app this won’t be a problem.
- We are also going to make this search be more accessible on mobile phones instead of under the Hamburger menu.
Would love to get feedback:
- What do you like and dislike?
- Do you have any problems?
- Anything confusing?