Seller asking for payment through friends and family

Ive seen ppl use Square and google pay. I use Zelle.

Only problem with all of this is that if the seller actually does screw you over, getting your money back without using PayPal is nearly impossible unless you wanna go to small claims court. Banks usually arenā€™t the type to help you in this kind of situation so you canā€™t just go to them (It depends on if your bank wants to be nice, but they usually arenā€™t). I am currently in a dispute on PayPal with the seller that sent me my sick rat snake. I started it on the 1st June and had to provide vet statements and everything to prove my case. It is still pending.

2 Likes

Simple pay with a credit card, not a debit card. Credit cards offer buyer protection. Just file a dispute with your card company and they will get your funds back if you can prove there is an issue. Am Ex is best for stuff like that.

2 Likes

So if you would of sold it that way and they claimed empty box you would of still not been protected and you would have a Credit card company after you as the seller? I fail to see how that is any better.

I am not getting a credit card just because I want to buy an animal. I am already short on money and even getting a prepaid card wouldnā€™t be possible 90% of the time. So it isnā€™t really a ā€œsimpleā€ fix.

In a paypal dispute they are judge, jury, and executioner so they have zero accountability to either side in the dispute. There T@C are vague on certain topics so they can use this as both a shield and sword. By doing this they can be as abitary and capricious as they wish and there ainā€™t a thing you can do about it. Your at the mercy of the person reviewing your case.
A credit card dispute is different. The card company can both refund the buyer and pay the seller in a dispute. Card companies are insured against loses like this so for them if they find neither side has proven there case to a reasonable degree they can just cut there losses and move on. Also card companies employ third parties to review disputes so the person reviewing it is as unbiased as possible. Basically the opposite of Paypal.

2 Likes

You make some valid points, but I personally have had good expiences with PayPal and trust that Iā€™ll be able to back any claim I bring or that is brought against me. To each his own.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been into the reptile scene for 30 years now, I have learned lots of breeder names over the years and have been scammed once. Honestly, I am only just now approaching a point where my hobby is about to take a turn to which point I am producing my own animals and will actually start selling, rather than just being a buyer.

I do use PayPal to make purchases here on morphmarket, as well as the other popular website we relied upon until MM became the amazing option it is.

I personally will send sellers payments as friends and family if I am familiar with their name, as long as I feel I am not going to get them flagged by PayPal themselves. PayPal apparently reserves the right to charge their fee if they feel you are abusing the friends and family option, by using it when itā€™s actually all business transactions.

Again, some names in our hobby have earned reputations that allow for trust to be a given.

Another scenario, of being at a reptile show and deciding to buy something I had not planned for, but asking if PayPal was an option. Face-to-face, fair exchange. No fee needed.

Itā€™s going to boil down to your level of trust with a given vendor. To each their own. I just try to appreciate paypal for the ease of transactions it has afforded me ever since I first signed up for it.

I do not mean to suggest that you send as friends and family to just anyone. Use your judgement, because the big names in our hobby seldom say anything about the fees, they just seem to accept it as part of the business side of things.

Finally, be prepared to pay the fee if you are making an offer below the sellerā€™s asking price. If itā€™s listed for $500, and I offer $400 shipped, itā€™s going to be a slap in the face to make them take another hit. Respect goes a long way and we have a community that builds lasting friendships each and every day. Letā€™s not let a few bad apples take away from that.

End of rant!

17 Likes

I personally am a seller, and a buyer on morph-market. I have been asked buy sellers to send as friends and family. If they are reliable I will do this every time. Based on reputation and rating on morph market, I determine trustworthiness. However 9/10 times I do send as good and services because I often deal with new sellers to me, and I Like to use credit cards to accrue points. Using a credit card to pay via friends and family will make you pay the pay-pal fee which is why I avoid the friends and family option when buying if possible. As a seller myself again 9/10 people pay using goods and services. Personally if someone asks me for a discount on an animal I will typically counter with asking them to send as friends and family so that I donā€™t take an even bigger hit, on top of that discount. If they arenā€™t okay with that, either no discount or they cover the fee.

1 Like

I have had customers lie and say they didnā€™t receive the snake, I was able to provide all documentation and proof and paypal took my side as a seller.

1 Like

I donā€™t accept PayPal for snake sales based on the information in that photo, which is from a screenshot from PayPal 's website.
I use Square for credit card processing.

I did look up the reference "Live animals/pets is considered property/goods " that @duckdangerfield found (ha love that name!) But it lead to a PayPal community post from a private user not Paypal. And it had no backup. Iā€™m not downing on ya Duck, I wish it had panned out because I would use Paypal if I could.

When you read through the acceptable use policy live animals are never mentioned. Or, if you can find a reference, please show me. My brain about melted looking through that legalese.
The only reference to live animals Iā€™ve been able to find that is actually from PayPal is in that screenshot.

Not using PayPal has cost me at least 1 sale from someone who refused to use Square and demanded PayPal. Which was fishy so I didnā€™t sweat it. Square is just a payment processor, a buyer doesnā€™t need a Square account to use it and all normal CC protections are available.

Iā€™d love to be wrong! In the meantime I donā€™t take it.

5 Likes

@richmccollserpents Unfortunately, Square will side with the buyer in 99% of transactions. They are similar to PayPal in that regard.

Iā€™ve paid all 5 of my snakes that way but understand why you are hesitant at the end of the day seller should be professional and able to do business legitimately the right way where you will be comfortable and covered

horrible! Iā€™m so sorry that happened to you I bet you were sick worrying about your animals after that and the lowlife didnā€™t care only cared about a free item hopefully they at least took care of the animal!

Just curious, as Iā€™ve never sold a live animal online, but does anyone use Venmo? Pros? Cons?

You know what? If you people dont like paypal, then just dont use it. Pissing and moaning about it ainā€™t going to fix anything.

Venmo is owned by paypal.

1 Like

I have never had square once side with a buyer. I provided my documentation and they have always sided with me. They even pressed fraud charges on one buyer in which we had to give a sworn statement.

1 Like

Your right which is why PayPal and any PayPal owned company does not get any of my business. I was a honey user for a long time PayPal bought them I deleted the app as soon as I heard.

2 Likes

I would just like to ad to this that PayPal donates to HSUS which is not a friend of the industry so I would be uncomfortable using them for that reason.

2 Likes