Selling at expos

One thing I’m thinking about doing to stand out is making my own acrylic display for the animals I’m selling with strips of flat universal rocks background lining parts of the display and a custom display that looks like a termite mound for the adults that produced the babies. plus, in the parts that hold the adults, they’re decorated like mini habitats.

3 Likes

oh, and also both aspidites species.

I successfully sold products to rock and gem hobbyists at shows for more than 20 years. They might not SEEM like similar target audiences, but they are. Think - crystal collectors, tattoos, and piercings…

I like your idea of the unique displays, that had people stop at our tables. Also, as best you can (w the animals’ welfare in mind), have something out of its cage. Folks are more hesitant to ask you to take something out, but they love to hold what you’ve already got in your hand!

Bring something very unusual - even if it is not for sale. Remember, all you are trying to do (first) is to get someone to stop and engage. Who won’t stop to look at the sugar gliders? You want everyone to stop. Then you can weed out the riff raff you might not want owning your babies.

Your display MUST look professional. Nobody wants to buy from a vendor who can’t spell. Use BOTH common names and binomials. The crowd who don’t know both (or don’t want to know…) are likely just tire kickers anyway.

I spent what I thought to be a small fortune on custom printed table cloths. For that moment right before the show opens, your booth looks great. And, you will be the envy of the other vendors. But as soon as the crowd arrives, no one can see anything below waist high! Banners and flags BEHIND you, when permitted, are a much better visual.

The majority of customers are uncomfortable asking questions… answer them up front! Signage to say “We accept Visa/MC” is critical. Perhaps QR codes they can use to retrieve Animal Care Sheets and other professional docs will stop people? Prices must be quick to find as well. “ATM on site” - and know exactly where it is!

Be sure to email your client list (you should have one) a few weeks before each show. Short of an email list (I’m old-school), post the shows to your social media - including booth numbers. Past customers are future customers if this forum is any indicator. Ask them to stop by early to see the (something special) you have.

Pet peeves:

1. Nobody looks pretty eating lunch. And the paid attendees all think you are on their time. Do it somewhere else. Perhaps not at all? We can all skip one meal for a day or two.

2. When you are sitting down or (gasp!) reading something, they don’t want to interrupt. But, you do! I know it’s hard, but this IS work. Lose the chairs… You don’t want to approach as quickly as a used car salesman, but you do want to be available/approachable.

Sorry, too long? I could write a book. Maybe I will someday!

11 Likes

I’ve never vended, but as an attendee, this is all excellent advice. I hate having to ask for prices on things and I do feel like I’m interrupting if the person is eating or sitting or doing something else.

3 Likes

Great advice!

2 Likes

So I used to vend with the BIG national chain of reptile expos. You know, the one that tries to have a show in every city? yeah, that one. In addition to their outlandish rules - like making it mandatory that you have to show up on the second day, even when it is Superbowl Sunday and nobody is going to come out - the final straw was when they put my table next to the sugar glider table.

Talk about a nightmare. The folks selling the animals were definitely working for a mill operation. They knew very little about the actual animals. On top of that, the table was a magnet for all the kids at the show. So basically I had little kids colliding with my table the entire time and they blocked out anyone who actually wanted to look at my animals. I complained to the “management” and they didn’t understand what was wrong with the situation even when I explained it in the simplest terms possible. Then they came around to take names of vendors who wanted to come back to the next show and acted surprised when I declined.

A very well known Ball Python breeder has commented on this show promoter very recently. I’m glad the information is out there now.

I understand the concept of having something unique to attract people to your table, but I am conditioned to RUN AWAY any time I see sugar gliders at an expo :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Regarding your comments about spelling, looking professional, etc. - I am 1000% with you on all of that. Except for the occasional deli cup, I am the same way with my table. Matching displays, matching lights, acrylic polished, no paint markers, competitive (but not cheap) prices, always accept credit cards, etc. I don’t sit down, eat lunch, or play on my phone either. But…depending on the show you are doing, there have been a couple of times where the guys with dirty, cracked displays are outselling you 5 to 1. I’m really not sure why this happens, but every now and then you do a show where everything seems to go backwards!

1 Like

I once went to a show where to guy selling basically all wild caught animals was WAY outselling the rest! Not only that, he was just generally an irresponsible seller. He sold a baby sulcata to a a tiny child!