Sexing Colubrids - House Snakes to be specific

Looking at getting into some house snakes and starting a project there. Currently we breed ball pythons and some geckos so not new to breeding but I have not kept any colubrids. Would like to know the ins and outs before jumping in. I know you don’t pop them for sexing. Do you probe? Tell by the tail length, etc?
Would love any information!
Thanks
Kasey

3 Likes

If I can remember correctly @saleengrinch has a pair so he might be able to help. Good luck with the colubrid project!

2 Likes

I’m not good at popping or probing lol. But house snakes are like hognoses you can visually sex them by the tail. image

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you! So male will be longer and thicker from the cloaca down?

The male’s tail will be significantly longer and will remain wide for more of its length (this is due to the retracted hemipenes inside the tail). The female’s tail will frequently widen just posterior to the vent, but will then taper fairly quickly. Remember, this is relative tail length, a large female may have a tail that is longer than that of a smaller male!

3 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for the info!

1 Like

House snake are super easy to keep and breed. These were the second species of snake I ever bred. Some of my favorite if possible I would get a pure cape house snake line. A lot of the us stock is inter graded very much due to the lack of knowledge when it came to different locales and species.

2 Likes

I will look into that. I would love to get my hands on some KNZ Reds as well.

1 Like

I have a pair of them. Mine are t+ albino

6 Likes

Beautiful! I am excited to start looking more into them.