Shingleback skinks

Hey man if i drop an email is there any way you could hook me up with the contact info on any breeders or that importer youre talking about? Id love to get a pair their personality is so amazing!

I will point out again this very important piece of information

5 Likes

Yes, that is very true. I made this topic a year ago when I knew much less about the reptile world and I was certainly more naive.

2 Likes

I do think I’ve heard of the occasional shingleback that was captive bred in either the USA or Europe up for sale in the USA by super dedicated Tiliqua folks. So if it’s from a very reputable breeder, I don’t think it’s totally impossible to ethically acquire one in your lifetime. I’ve just heard prices $20K+/skink, and I imagine you’d have to find the few elusive breeders there are and get on their good side to be allowed on a waitlist for several years. I suspect that, in maybe a decade or two, they may be easier to find if captive breeding efforts gain significant traction. But right now itd be considerably easier and cheaper to get a Boelen’s python. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I’m so jealous of people in Australia who can just go to the local kellyville pets and pick up a pair of shinglebacks.

1 Like

I agree! At a virtual veterinary conference I attended an Aussie presenter emphasized that they’re super awesome. I was like ‘darn it, why’d you have to tell me that?!’ :joy:

1 Like