Should I Narrow Down or....?

When I was first getting into snakes I really liked the GHI morph, topped my wishlist but was too expensive to be realistic for me. Low and behold, my first reptile show I managed to grab a “male” GHI Pastave and a “female” Pastel GHI. Turns out they are swapped. I’m kinda happy that the female has more morphs than I first thought but I was really hoping to make BELs with the male. I really love GHIs, and I’ve been thinking about narrowing down my collection to focus on just a couple of projects. I’d like to make super GHIs, BELs, and just overall dark morphs. Right now this is what I have:
1.0 pastel GHI
0.1 GHI Pastave
0.1 black pastel pinstripe trick
0.1 Lesser Cinnamon
0.1 Russo
0.1 normal
0.1 spider combo (not 100% sure what she is but she’s going with the other male)
1.0 Scaleless head

I’m thinking about selling the Russo and my GHI male and getting a higher gene count male. I have a couple picked out but one favorite that has possibly 5 genes.

Would that be smart? Or should I just stick with what I have? Only 2 of the females are even close to breeding, and they can go with the scaleless head male. So I have time to raise up a new male if that’s what I do.

1 Like

If your goal is to stay on the darkside then I would prune out:

0.1 Lesser Cinnamon
0.1 Russo
0.1 normal
0.1 spider combo (not 100% sure what she is but she’s going with the other male)
1.0 Scaleless head

My reasoning is as follows:
-Your GHI pair gives you the options of both the SuperGHI and the BluELs you want.
-From the BluEL group, Mojave lends very strongly to darkening combos while Lesser and Russo tend to lighten.
-BlkPastel tends to provide more darkness than Cinny.
-Trick in the BlkPastel combo adds an extra darkside gene.

To add more dark I would look into adding the following morphs:

Acid/Confusion
Asphalt/Specter
Blackhead
Blitz
Chocolate
Cypress
Granite
Leopard
Mahogany
Quake
Sable
Spotnose

Axanthic
BlackLace
DesertGhost

And eventually, by holding back the right progeny from your GHI pair, you will want to winnow the Pastel out of your collection since it is the antithesis of darkside

4 Likes

The spider and scaleless head are their own project, I guess I should have specified that. The others I can agree with. How would I get BluELs with that male tho? I know I could raise up babies, but I’m hoping for sooner

Not the male himself, female. Hold to mojave offsprings then cross them to create super mojave aka BEL. Mojave ghi babies are prety dark yet their babies come off super white. Wonders of genetics.

1 Like

So I’d have to replace the male with his own offspring after the first year? First year for the babies and the second the males should be able to breed, right?

That’s one way to do it. Btw, i have been googling a bit ghi mojave pastel combos and look - super mojave ghi

Not the usual BEL but damn that snake looks interesting

2 Likes

My actual goal was a super pastel, super GHI, super Mojave :sweat_smile:. Lotta supers but I think it’d look AMAZING!!

No judging here. If i get my hands on axanthic (hard to find in central europe) i would love to eventualy make axanthic banana super enchi - extra bonus if it was pied. Imagine a toaly white snake with just a few small super enchi pink marks here and there.

That’d be really cool! I’d love to see it

Me too. It doesn’t exist yet.

Dang! Watch who you tell tho lol, some of the big guys could probably do the same in just a year or two if they get the odds right

I’m sure of it BUT considering that majority of bp breeders comes from usa, europe is going to be without one like that for a while. Probably. And even so - who cares as long as i get my hands on/eventualy breed one myself :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I was thinking of holding back Mojave offspring (or you can pick up a different Mojave combo male to pair with your female and keep in the vein of your darkside plans). If you want BluELs sooner you could keep the Cinny Lesser or Russo female but you would still need to pick up a BluEL complex male and, like I said above, that keeps brighter genes in your collection

As a head up, Enchi/SuperEnchi Pieds are very low-white so what you would be more likely to end up with is a heavily, aberrant-patterned, darker Banana coloured animal

1 Like

Shhhh! Let me dream that i can get this!
with even more reduced pattern and blobs of pure white. Because it WOULD be awesome

1 Like

@t_h_wyman , I already have the Russo and GHI male posted for sale. I did find a beautiful make on here I’d like to replace him with but he’s a lesser combo with GHI and a couple others. Wouldn’t get the super Mojave but still BluELs. Paired with the Lesser Cinnamon he could do some beautiful things too so for now I’ll keep her

2 Likes

Bear in mind, I was only offering my opinion based off what you said. Ultimately you should ABSOLUTELY do whatever is going to make you happiest. I have said it before and I will say it again: At the end of the day, these are animals that you will be keeping/caring for so you should enjoy it every time you open their tubs. If you do not, then this stops being a hobby and becomes a chore and an obligation. It is a lot easier to clean snake crap every day if love the snake in the tub. If you do not like the snake(s) then you start to slack on their care

3 Likes

Let us know what you decide! I’ve been down that path of changing my ideas/plan/mind

2 Likes

Of course! I love all my babies! I don’t think I will ever tire of them regardless of what they look like lol. All in all I want beautiful, healthy animals; babies just being a great bonus :grin:. I’ll definitely be keeping y’all updated!

4 Likes

Indeed, a multiple gene male can be a good plan especially if you have females with only one or two genes because you can breed the male to several females in the same season and can still have different looking babies with different combo’s. With keeping babies you can mix them again for new combo’s. Beside that a multiple gene male can keep you going or several years and still give you different offspring. Didn’t breed myself yet but am already for more than a year gathering all the information I can get. I heard that not every female and male are a match. Sometimes they simply “don’t like” each other enough to breed and it is good to have a back up male, so before you sell your ghi male… On the other side you still have the scales head male but do you want to use that as a back up?

It is also good to check on the type of Bel you want. Do you want super mojave with purple head, or a really white one like mojave lesser/butter? Also in the dark morphs it is good to think long run. Now mayby your happy with every healty baby you get and are going for Bel’s and super Ghi’s, but if you had them for like two years, are you then still so happy to see these comming out of the egg’s or do you like to evolve. And do you really want the only dark ones or do you want to also throw some contrasting colors inside? Then maybe enhancers like yellow belly, pastel, enchi , fire, OD can also be a good plan even through they are not dark but make the patern pop up on the dark basic colour. Try to figure out what makes you happy today, but also keep you busy longer. If you have a group of healthy breeders, it is a pity to sell them because you can not evolve anymore. You never know how good the new one is going to be and every new animal you bring to your house also creates a small…but still new health risk. Besides that, if you had an animal for many years, is it really so easy to sell it? I can only talk for myself but I hope I can keep my startergroup till I’m old and grey, because i am too attached to them, and because I get attached I disided to take two to three years to get a breeding group but with genes that can be mixed in so many beautifull combos that it will still take me at least ten years or even more before I hit every one of them.

I will not tell you what to do because I don’t know your budget or space and we are all different people, but am just trying to make you consider some different sides so can be happy with your snakes today but also in the years to come. Check morph market for possible combo’s and check what you need to get them, and if you got that one, what is the next one and can you also get that one. There is also a topic on this forum with all kind of dark morphs and there are really a lott of breathtaking ones there.

Good luck to you!!!

5 Likes

If I could multi heart everything you said I would!! You said everything perfectly and better than I ever could! In a perfect world I could keep all my snakes and have plenty of everything for them! I do love that male and hate to see him go as he was the second snake I ever got, but to get one I have to remove one. Without putting someone in a makeshift tub, I have no room… Actually… I can, gotta rearrange some things… That’s a wonderful idea to keep another male on standby! Here we go again lol. Also, none of these are breeding size except the normal and Scaleless head, the spider is close but all the others are 450 or less

3 Likes