Sick nile monitor! help!

Im not a lizard guy so take this suggestion for what its worth. Have you tried maybe putting his current enclosure in the new enclosure? If thats even possible? Put it in and then leave the “lid” off and provide him access to get in and out and see what he does? Or set it up adjacent to the new one where he can move between the two. Allow him to settle in with less stress? I feel your frustration, we’ve had a few critters where we moved them into their “dream home” only to have them stop eating until they were back on paper towel with a dollar store bowl for a hide. Just maddening.

Also, might try moving his familiar enclosure outside to see if its the great outdoors hes allergic to or he just doesnt like all your hard work and effort.

5 Likes

How long is he and what age? I doubt a Nile that can fit in a 20 gallon has any thoughts on breeding. They will usually be around 3 to 4 feet before that happens.
Maybe too much stimuli in the outdoor enclosure as others have stated. I’ve had some snakes that would only eat in small dark “feed” boxes. They did outgrow that, but maybe he likes his outdoor enclosure very well, just not secure enough to make him comfy when it comes to eating.

3 Likes

Still adjusting to being back inside for the last couple days. The mission currently, is to get food in his stomach! Once he gets a full belly, we’ll take him back outside, let him pass his food and then bring him back inside to eat again. In the meantime, We’ll implement some tactics to create even more visual barriers(sides and overhead), create a den/burrow roughly the same size as his inside cage(where We’ll try to keep one of his food bowls) and keep repeating the process until I got confirmation he’s eating normally in the outdoor cage.

He’s 30" long total, 2 years old. And yes I agree he’s probably still to young to be sexually mature.

Pics of the updates to his enclosure will follow. Stay tuned!

Thanks everyone for all the thoughtful input! Its nice to have some support!!

5 Likes

Ah! I meant to add some pics of when I first got him. Reptile show in GA back during covid. Best $50 i ever spent​:grin: (if i can get him to eat in the outdoor cage!!:exploding_head:) long-term plan is just to have the biggest, baddest Nile there is!

8 Likes

Awwwww! His little baby pics are sooooo adorable! He’s a lucky boy to have you! :heart::frog::lizard::snake::blush:

4 Likes

Oh my goodness, he was so tiny! And that little sploot…too cute! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: He’s grown up beautifully, very handsome guy you’ve got.

I hope he eventually starts eating in that beautiful enclosure you’ve built for him! I agree that more visual barriers on the top and sides, as well as perhaps some more cover and hiding places in the land section, might help him feel more secure in his new home.

4 Likes

Good evening all,

Quick update on our Nile. He’s been placed back outside. Kept him in his old cage the last week and got him eating again. He ate a couple bowls of repashy meat pie and 1 adult F/T mouse. Keeping food available outside and seeing what happens. Heres a few pics from the ring feed of him doing his thing.

7 Likes

Glad your boy is adjusting and feeding better for you. Best of continued luck!

4 Likes