Size Enclosure

When I got my first ball python I put her in a 50 gallon. I ended up having to put 2 heating pads under it, two hides, two water bowls (to keep up humidity), blacked out 3 sides, cover the top, and she still would only eat an average of 3 meals in a month. She spent all her time hiding under her paper. I eventually got a tub setup (really still too big for her) and she started eating more consistently.

My personal recommendation since you are just getting started, is the Vivarium Electronics VE racks (the 2 slot is 129.99 but I personally have the 6 slot economy). The nice thing about that rack is you can fit multiple sized tubs, so start with the 11 and then move up to the 23 as your baby grows (make sure you still have a hide). The 11s are narrow and long, so it’s easier to get a heat gradient and lets the baby stretch out but still feel secure.

You will of course eventually have to get a larger rack if you go this route, but that won’t be for another 1-2 years (depending on how old your baby is already and if it is a faster or a chowhound).

If you feel like you might catch the bug and start buying more, I would go for the six slot (enclosed is 279.99 and open-sided is 199.99). If you go for the open one, make sure you position it so that the sides are still mostly blacked out/shaded for security. Standard small hides fit well in the 11, and 6-ounce ramekins make excellent water bowls (I get these).

If you are really set on going the tank route, then I agree with the other comments recommending 10 gallon, but make sure you have lots of cover and a couple of hides.

2 Likes

CAn you share the link where i can find racks you are talking about. Thank you for the advice

Это очень большой объем для ребёнка ВР . У меня взрослые сидят в объёмах 51см×33см×18см ДЛИНА ×ШИРИНА ×ВЫСОТА. При чем очень крупные самки длиной 178см и 155см. Вес 3730гр и 1985,3гр.(этой только 1год и 3месяця . Я называю их переростки

1 Like

While I can apreciate that English is not the first language for everyone here, using English when posting is highly recommended it makes interaction between members easier but also make the staff’s job easier as well (we do not have the time to use a translator each time a user post in their native language)

1 Like

VE 2 slot: https://www.reptilebasics.com/reptile-rack-systems/vivarium-electronics-ve-2-rack/
VE 6 slot (closed sides): https://www.reptilebasics.com/reptile-rack-systems/vivarium-electronics-ve-6-rack/
VE 6 slot (open sides): https://www.reptilebasics.com/reptile-rack-systems/ve-6e-economy-rack/
Lead time last I ordered was somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks (can’t remember exactly). The 6 slot ones you have to assemble yourself, but they’re not too hard to put together.

Thank you so much…

I was hoping (in the future, a ways off) to keep a ball python as a pet, but now I’m a bit worried. I was planning on housing it in a 40 gallon tank (floor space 18" x 36") I already have once it was a full-grown adult. I really feel a strong affinity for ball pythons, and I was really hoping to be able to keep one. But obviously, if it is a poor choice, I will not attempt it.

I’d want any snake I had to be kept in a display-type enclosure. I’m not actually bothered by the idea of a couch potato snake, as I think one that constantly moved around might make me super anxious. I know most people would be irritated by an animal that just sat there, but I’m like, ‘bro, you’re just like me!’ :wink: To me, a snake like that sounds like excellent company for when I’m sitting quietly and working on crafts. Er, meaning, the cage is in the same room, not that I’d expect a snake to sit obediently in my lap while I needle felt. :joy:

I will do a lot more research before making any serious plans, but if a 40 gallon is definitely a bad idea, could you guys let me know? Would it help if the snake was female? I’ve never kept a snake of my own. Buying more hides and equipment is expected, I was just hoping to avoid waste and re-use my 40 gallon in the future (it is in excellent shape or I wouldn’t consider it).

1 Like

@mblaney to me a 40 gallon for a adult ball python is fine. Heck I got one in a larger tank than that and she does fine. Of course this does not speak for every snake, and a snake not used to a tank might have a problem. But at the same time I think with enough patience and work you could get it to work. Just need tons of plants and hides to make the snake feel comfortable. Every snake is different. Every situation is different. No one can say if it will or will not work. Just have to do what’s right for the animal you have.

2 Likes

Nice snake. How big is this storage container? :snake: