Sizing Up Food Question

So I have had my hognose for almost a year now by december. He seems to be hungry even after I feed him. I feed my hognose pinkies still. One every 5 days. My issue is as far as I know he is about a year old and 10-11 inches. Should I size up to fuzzies?

2 Likes

Does a pinky look small in his mouth? If so, I would size up to fuzzies. How much does he weigh?

1 Like

General rule for prey size is that the prey should be roughly as big around as the widest part of the snake’s body (some say 1.5 times as wide). Some people prefer to go by weight (where the prey is a percentage of the snake’s body weight), though I don’t remember the weight ratio off hand, so hopefully someone else can chime in with that number. (Do keep in mind that that’s just a general rule and there are exceptions, especially for adult snakes, but for small/young snakes, it’s usually a good guideline).

But it’s better to go by size/weight rather than if the snake still seems hungry, because some snakes are garbage disposals and will merrily eat themselves into morbid obesity if given the chance, which isn’t healthy for them. In other words, just because he would eat more doesn’t necessarily mean he should eat more.

3 Likes

Definitely move it up to fuzzies. Meal should be almost as big around as the snake is in the middle.

6 Likes