Small display lizards

They are on the same lighting and misting schedules as my dart frogs; the only differences are I added a small heat lamp in one corner of their viv and a UV bulb over the screened area of the lid. I do have an exhaust fan in my hood that pulls air through the viv.

I offer a gradient of 75-85F and they spend most of their time in the upper part (80’s) and roost at night in the cooler areas. They eat dubia roaches off tongs as their main diet, with occasional waxworms, and horn worms to vary their diet. I will periodically release crickets in there so they can hunt. Their cleanup crew is spring tails and giant canyon isopods - they occasionally go digging around for an isopod treat. Between the isopods and misting, we rarely see a poop :slight_smile:

Our female is a more aggressive eater and she’ll jump on your hand. The male is less interested in us but he will tong feed. They are a lot of fun - lots of personality. We have a lone female in a second viv, and as soon as you open the door she is up your arm and on your head. She is older and we have worked with her more, so they do tame down well in our limited experience.

2 Likes

Sceloporus are great display lizards that are relatively small, are very active and do not need to be handled.

Emerald Swifts are the most popular of them but it can be difficult to find them captive bred (right now) which is ridiculous because they breed fairly easily.

Sceloporus minor, Sceloporus taeniocnemis…there are a few others that are fairly popular.

I have 5 emerald swifts (2.3) and I have 6 S.taeniocnemis coming to me next week (2.4 )

The only arboreal lizards that I know (other than anoles and Chams) are green keel bellied lizards which I don’t own.

And they are extremely active, need a huge enclosure, and do best in pairs.

1 Like

Are you talking to me. Because I don’t own green belly Keller lizards all I own are garter snakes and carpet python

1 Like

No I wasn’t directly talking to you, I was just adding extra information about the species.

1 Like

Agree on all three! I should have added in my reply that I was specifically recommending a “smaller” lizard that would fit part of the original request:

I just happen to have a pair in a 36"x18"x36", but I’d hesitate to go smaller than this for my pair, and I would not cohabitate them. I have not seen a more vicious take down than our female going after a large horn worm. Insert worm, rapidly close the door, and get ready to clean the glass.

2 Likes