Snake mites?!?!

Awesome! Where do you purchase this product? Does it work to treat the enclosure as well?

I ordered mine off Amazon but you can find it at Tractor Supply as well.

I have never treated a cage with it, only animals.

@stewart_reptiles I know I am late to the mite party, but when using the Rid home lice treatment on the enclosure do you just spray everything down, wait for it to dry, then put the snake back in? I am experiencing my first ever mite infestation and want to make sure I do it right. I plan on using Natural Chemistry Mite Spray to treat the animal. I have no idea where they came from. We quarantine all of our new snakes for 2 weeks. This isn’t even the newest guy. He seemed fine last week. Went to feed him tonight and they were crawling all over him. He was in a rack so tomorrow I am going to start treating the whole rack after work. Just want to make sure I do it right.

1 Like

Yes. You should also keep the water bowl out of the tub for about a week as the active toxin that kills the mites is quite soluble and you do not want it getting in the water and then the snake drinking it.

The life cycle of a mite is around three weeks, so even if you did not see any adults on the animal when you bought it the eggs could have been there and hatched and started the cycle.

A proper quarantine should, at a minimum, be a month. Mine lasts closer to four or five (or six, or more, depending on if I find something and need to treat)

1 Like