Snake ownership and social media

It’s definitely a tricky issue, and one that I felt was important to discuss after seeing the type of posts that sometimes end up on Facebook/reddit in particular.

I do agree that experienced keepers absolutely need to set a good example on everything from proper and safe handling to good husbandry. People, especially new keepers, are looking up to them for advice. I can’t even tell you how many times someone has backed up their suspect husbandry practices with (but so and so said this was the best way to do it). How we respond to it is more difficult, because sometimes these videos (such as the example of free handling venomous snakes) do come from big names that have a big following in there reptile world. Speaking out against outdated or harmful practices is important, but I understand also not wanting to burn bridges.

Personally, I won’t support or buy snakes from people if I don’t support their practices. While I’m just one small keeper and my buying practices won’t have much of an effect, if enough people feel the same way, it eventually will. If someone is willing to showcase suspect animal husbandry online, it makes me wonder what they aren’t showing. Sometimes even an innocuous post can be a good indicator of husbandry practices. For example I tend to see this more on Facebook/Reddit and occasionally here, but sometimes people will post a picture of a brand new snake they just bought right next to an older snake from their collection and a caption like “future pairing”. Cool - now you’ve just shared with the world that you aren’t following careful quarantine procedures. No thank you

The issue of new keepers potentially posting pictures and videos of bad husbandry/unhealthy animals/health problems is more challenging in my mind because we want to provide an open and non judgmental place where people can learn and improve, but also still be aware that sometimes sharing that content can be dangerous. Once you post something on the internet, it’s out there. Even if someone has the best of intentions, that image can still easily be taken and used as ammunition against reptile ownership. I had to explain to someone the other day why they would not be allowed to post a picture of their ball python on top of their dog the other day. It’s not cute, it’s a terrible idea that could end very badly.

I saw this a few weeks ago and thought it was the perfect example of how social media can lead to harmful practices if someone doesn’t know better. https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/lxuiub/aita_for_not_allowing_my_sister_near_my_bearded/

5 Likes

A major issue I see is the fact that the reptile hobby has a huge turnover. Countless people buy 30 ball pythons with the intention of being the next Jkr. These people make videos without any real experience or first hand knowledge. They just repeat the recycled information they learned from someone else who did the same thing the year before. Then a couple of years later neither one of them are in the hobby. But the videos of misinformation remain so there shortly lived reptile breeding career has a lasting effect of the rest of the hobby. It’s a vicious cycle and one I see as a very tough one to overcome.

10 Likes

Which is why the hobby will never overcome without first starting the “knowledge is power” trend of if you are gonna have something snake, lizard, amphib, invert or otherwise you must show you have put in the effort to learn about your chosen species in terms of proper husbandry and care etc. Those who want an animal companion of the exotic variety (even birds) need to only perpetuate proper knowledge and facts. Otherwise I don’t see things ever improving.

Remember this isn’t really even a hobby. This is about the welfare/wellbeing of nature’s creations and not meant to be taken lightly like someone going “oh that lizard thing looks like a dinosaur so I want one” and then find out for whatever reason the creature suddenly loses its appeal. This is a commitment not a fad. If people can research what dog/cat breed suits them and why for whatever reason they need to apply it to birds herps amphibs and inverts as well. We are all living creatures who deserve proper respect and treatment.

2 Likes

Opinion… Too much emphasis on political correctness and negativity.

4 Likes

You kinda sound like you support the groups that would regulate and ban the public from owning these animals… we all need to be careful how things come across regardless of what your true intentions are. That being said. I truly don’t feel that anybody here has bad intentions.

2 Likes

Not social media, but this picture on Amazon annoyed me today…

This will lead a inexperienced keeper to believe it is safe for a animal to touch… :expressionless:

7 Likes