Surprise Western Hognose eggs?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I found this today!

Looks like putting the male back in was a good idea. At least we got a few fertile eggs in with the slugs.

I doubt the one on the bottom will make it, but it had veins so I thought I’d give it a chance. They’re in the incubator now. Hoping the three good ones will hatch.

6 Likes

Curious to know what ended up happening?

The three good eggs hatched!

They’re doing really well too, I’ve got them all on unscented pinkies and they’re eating 2x a week with no refusals.

5 Likes

That’s awesome!

Do you keep your male and female together year round? Also new to breeding.

Hognose should only be together when breeding and we are talking 24 to 48 hours at the very most.

3 Likes

I don’t keep them together. I just put them in until the male locks or a few days have passed. Usually they lock pretty quickly though, if they’re going to at all.

2 Likes

During breeding I leave males in a few days before giving them a few days off. Based on how they behave I suspect keeping them together year round would annoy the female and eventually the male would die from only caring about one thing! As with anything in this hobby there are probably occasional exceptions to the rule, but I would not ever recommend this one.

1 Like