The Black Lab..new dark morph

10 Likes

The 1st pic is the single gene Black Lab…the 2nd pic is of the super

5 Likes

Hey there @wickedenexotics and welcome to the family! So glad to have you here and btw your animals are gorgeous! I am particularly partial to the dark morphs myself!

Hope you stick around because this is a wonderful place with a lot of great people who love reptiles! :pray::blush:

5 Likes

Hey welcome to the community! I’m a big fan of dark morphs too. If you believe this to be a new morph, I recommend following the steps outlined in this linked post to have it looked into being added as a recognized gene by MorphMarket.
How to Request a Gene Addition

7 Likes

What a great post to start with.
Can you tell us about the other combos? I’m curious to know what other morphs you’ve tested with. Like have you tried it with cinny, mahogany or ghi? The 4th photo of the hatchling almost looks like a BEL combo?

7 Likes

1st pic is the single gene
2nd pic is the super
3rd pic is of a mojave x blk lab and mystic x blk lab(im not sure why these hatched out like this)
4th is of a vanilla x blk lab
5th is an example of how they tend to “blush” out as they get older

8 Likes

I only have it in a few morphs so far
Mojave
Vanilla
Mystuc
Enchi
Pastel
Fire
Het ghost
Het pied
Het clown

6 Likes

There has been 4 supers hatched (3.1)

The super does have a slight wobble,not like a spider but similar to a super spotnose

10 Likes

That is now probably one of my favorite morphs! That is really interesting that the super has a wobble. Are you planning to do any pairings with anything in the spider complex? When do you plan to start selling them? Sorry for all the questions I just really love this and can’t wait to see what else you do with the gene

4 Likes

I dont have any plans on breeding it to any of the “spider” complex…
This is the 1st year i will be selling any of the Blk Lab project I wanted see a super before i released any offspring
Aaron

7 Likes

can’t wait for when i will be able to afford one lol. I only asked as a lot of buyers have strong opinions on the spider complex and I know a lot of people would want to know if it is allelic before investing in the protected. I feel it probably would be beneficial to pair it to a low wobble morph like spotnose to see what happens. it really could increase the number of buyers but that is coming from someone who doesn’t breed balls so…

5 Likes

I agree with everyone here! Great dark morph! The differences I like in this morph are; the inside of the alien heads are broken up and blackened almost like if a black pastel broke up the whole alien head pattern not just the tops! Also the Mojave reminds me of how a ghi affects it except it is even more reduced and you have all this remarkable pixilation on the entire lower part of the body! The supers look slightly suma like except again for the pixelation on it! Finally it is also cool that the single gene starts super dark and blushes out as it gets older! Usually with most bps it’s the other way around! Please like @scissortailscales said get it into the new morph application because I do think it is one, and you have a lot of animals that show it as such! Congratulations!:star_struck::+1:

5 Likes

Yeah. It’s like the perfect mashup of a ghi blk pastel kinda look. I love it

4 Likes

Very interesting, and does look really cool. I think it has the potential to be a new morph.

Unlike other folks here, I tend to think there needs to be more breeding trials done before listing it as a new morph so that we have as much information as possible. I would be interested to see it paired to mahogany or nyala since super mahogany and super nyala both look very similar to your super. I would also strongly recommend breeding it to something in the spider complex (blackhead or spotnose perhaps) to test if it is allelic or not, especially given you have noted a slight wobble in the super. Knowing whether it is in the spider complex will definitely affect possible pairings.

8 Likes

THAT is what I was trying to get at just couldn’t figure out how to say it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That wouldn’t really change the fact that it would be a new morph though?
While the super looks the same as Nyala and suma, the base morph is different, appearing more like a GHI at first with the smudging on the belly flames and the strange keyholes. Then comparing it to mahogany Mojave or Nyala Mojave is another entirely different looking animal compared to this combo.

All we would know is which complex it may be in. And even then iirc aren’t Nyala and mahogany not in the same complex either?

It would definitely be interesting to know if it’s in the spider complex because of the wobble,but again…
They can still fill out the new gene request form

3 Likes

Agreed! I have seen some breeders not even have produced a super form(or tried) yet fill out a new morph page! The op has done an incredible amount of proving this new trait in my opinion, a super, an older single gene, with 2 bel genes, ect! There are so many complexes and morphs to put suspected new traits to, it would be really hard to wait and sit on a project animal while going through super extensive breeding trials. Like you pointed out it is already different enough in its single form! Hope to see more, and also an official morph name/designation out of this cool project!

5 Likes

That’s super cool, maybe I missed it when I skimmed the thread, but have you found it to be allelic to any of the existing/currently established morphs?

4 Likes

I have a little bit of a suspicion it may be spider complex related because the super wobbles a little like a super spotnose according to op. But that’s just assuming all wobbles are spider complex. Otherwise they haven’t mentioned finding allelic looking combos…

6 Likes

I haven’t found anything to be allelic with it.

As of this past season, only single gene adults were breed.

3 Likes