The Messenger!

We are proud to announce the new MorphMarket Messenger. This is a major upgrade to our on-site messaging interface, which includes the following benefits:

• The ability to archive messages to keep your inbox clean and organized
  • More powerful filtering options, such the ability to view only messages TO or FROM you
  • Faster and more mobile friendly interface
  • Scroll down to load more messages - no more pagination
  • Better use of Desktop space, showing both panes at once (with a 3rd User Profile pane coming to quickly see information about the other party)
  • More intuitive timestamps

For mobile devices on the message list page:

• Swipe down to refresh
  • Swipe up to load more conversations
  • Swipe right to archive messages

While the system still supports emailing, our goal is to continue improving the messenger until it becomes the preferred interface of communication among our users for multiple reasons. First, the messenger is more reliable than email because we cannot ultimately control where email messages end up. Second, the on-site messenger allows us to add features to enhance your productivity which we cannot provide in email format. An example would be the Quick Reply actions currently available to sellers.

We realize that a critical feature needed to make the messenger more useful is support for attachments such as images and videos. We plan to add this later this year.

Right now there is not an easy to way to archive large amounts of messages, but we are going to add a feature in the next day or so.

If you need to access the older messenger, click the (?) to expose help text which includes the link.

Please let us know if you have any problems or have questions.

9 Likes

do we still get an email notification when a message is sent?

1 Like

Bless, just went through and archived all of my old messages!

1 Like

A) This was a much needed upgrade, glad to see it! I like many of the choices made, the similarity to a mobile text application makes it pretty intuitive for most folks, I’m sure.

B) Quick nitpick;

I think the message bodies would be much more readable if the text was left aligned, currently it’s like:
<div class="card-body px-3 py-2 text-center">

I think it would be easier to read like:
<div class="card-body px-3 py-2 text-left">

C) Thank you for all the awesome updates y’all are making!

2 Likes

Really like the desktop version. Definitely gives me fb vibes when using it. I think I had an issue this morning using it from the app, but I just checked and it looks sick. Love the updates going on here at MM!

4 Likes

The more I think about it, the more I think justified text might work best in those message bubbles. Might be worth A/B testing.

Yes, I did, ymmv?

Email is a bad system in subtle and not so subtle technical ways, ways that effect reliability and deliverability for normal folks and web platforms alike. I support them moving away from it as a default in the long run.

Does this messenger give a push notification when there is a new message? Or do I have to still rely on email/checking the app constantly?

1 Like

Email, just like before, as far as I can tell.

If you were to suggest SMS push notifications for “Premium” MorphMarket members, I’d back you up on that. If you don’t suggest it, then I might!

As a pro-dick web developer, I know all too well that push notifications via SMS (to your celly texts) is something that inevitably costs a significant amount of money, unless you happen to own a telecom company.
Therefore, I don’t think it will be available in the foreseeable future, unless there’s an associated cost per user. I’d love for it to be free, but it ain’t.

1 Like