Thermostat talk

Continuing the discussion from The good, the bad, and the downright scary:

1 Like

The clicking noise is a audible notice that the thermostat is turning on or off. You will notice the light turns on when you hear the click.

The actual temp might be misaligned with the dials, give it a few tests with a few different locations on the dial and see how far off it is.

And cross test it with different thermometers other than the built in probe.

2 Likes

I did have a thermometer in there, and it was definitely reading higher than what the temperature was supposed to be set at.

The clicking was a rapid on/off sound, I should have specified that lol

1 Like

VE thermostats are pulse proportional so they don’t click on and off. The best thermostats I’ve used are industrial grade temp controllers…and they’re about $10 each. I’ve had the same one on my incubator for 7 years.

1 Like

My bad, I had a dumb moment there and confused it with the Ministat-100.

Do you happen to have a link to the ones you use?

2 Likes

I thought the VE-100 was on/off, the VE-200 and 300 are pulse proportional

EDIT:
It says on/off operation on this listing
https://www.reptilebasics.com/ve-100

2 Likes

Maybe this will help some
Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 2.07.44 PM
https://www.reptilebasics.com/thermostats (non-affiliated link)

2 Likes

I stand corrected. I don’t use them anymore with the exception of my incubator.

3 Likes

You can fine them much cheaper actually. It just takes a couple of minutes of searching. Don’t be fooled by the price. These are top notch. I just grabbed the first listing. There are lots of options to choose from on these. Mine keeps temps within .5 degrees.

5 Likes

That’s fair, aha.

Though I’ll definitely have to look into one of those, might be a little better than spending the money on a herpstat if it accomplishes the same thing.

1 Like

The one time I had a failure in one of these it was because I had there probe inserted past the insulation. It wasn’t making a connection to the wire and shut off the power to the heat source. The display read ERR so I knew to check. I’ve seen many of the “reptile” branded thermostats fail in the full ON position and destroy people’s collections. That’s why I prefer ambient heating to cage/rack heating.

4 Likes

Right now I only have one thermostat FOR NOW. It is a VE-300x2

2 Likes

I am using PVC enclosures on a few of my snakes with radiant heaters. I am moving away from standard on/off thermostats and getting into proportional ones. Not sure if a dimming feature or pulse would be better with RHP’s. Torn between Herpstat and Freedom Breeder. Any suggestions or thoughts?

1 Like

My guess is the majority of people aren’t exactly sure if they have a pulse of dimming thermostat, so don’t know what to answer this with. (Not surprising as proportional vs on/off seems to be the main selling point of thermostat advertising). Also the Freedom Breeder stats probably aren’t in all that many keepers setups yet, as they are relatively new compared to the competition. With that said, I use pulse with my RHP, (all of my heat panels are either on Herpstats, Vivarium Electronics, or a Proportional that I built myself.).

1 Like

I don’t own a Herpstat or Freedom Breeder thermostat so I can’t answer regarding those. But I do have a few Vivarium Electronics thermostats and their VE200 and VE300 options both offer pulse and dimming settings within the same unit. I use the pulse setting in most of my setups and have not found anything negative to say about them.

3 Likes

I love mine

1 Like

I love my herpstats. I use the proportional setting, it is especially good for heat lamps or heat emmitters because they don’t click off and on all the time. I also like the fail-safe they come with. If the thermostat is damaged, it will shut off. No cooked reptiles.

5 Likes

What temp do you set your thermostat on to get the right temperature inside the tubs?
I have to set mine on a higher temp to get inside tub temperature correct.
Is this the way everyone has to do for their enclosures?
I just bought a couple of new thermostats. So they should be alright.

1 Like

Yes just make sure that when you said it it’s reaching the correct temperature inside the tub it is not too hot so, before adding an animal I personally recommend testing out on a practice set up. What I did with my snake, I actually had him in a different enclosure while I was setting up the other one and this allowed me to temp check and fine-tune the temperatures.

1 Like