Thermostat talk

Yeah that is what I’m doing. I have everything in there, the hide, water bowl & substrate. I have a humidity probe, which the humidity is to high.
I put holes around the whole tub at the top 2 rows to help with it. Put some in the lid also. It is still around 80%. Should I put more holes?
The temp this morning was 89.4 when I left inside of tub. The thermostat I have set at 102 deg. Probe is in between tub and heat mat.

1 Like

What are you using for substrate?

1 Like

Reptichip and another brand of fir bark i bought because I didn’t have enough of reptichip to use for her tub.

1 Like

Is that 89 degrees on the top of the substrate or on the floor of the tub?

2 Likes

That is a very good point :grin:

I taped the probe from the thermometer to the inside of the tub under the substrate. I had read that it would be better to do it that way.
I have the thermostat probe under the tub on top of the heat mat.

2 Likes

Tape can get loose and cause a tragic accident. I run my thermostat probe into the tub through a hole I drill. I drill two smaller holes on the bottom of the tub where I want the probe to stay and fasten it tightly with a small zip tie. I zip part is on the underside of the tub so no lumps or sharp edges.

2 Likes

I have my thermostat probe in underneath the tub on top of heat mat the probe under substrate is a totally different thermometer probe inside of tub.

2 Likes

I would think if you had high humidity there would be some visible condensation. I’m not seeing any in your pictures. Not sure if the tub is in a rack or not. But I don’t put holes in tubs on racks. And with reptiles chip if anything think your humidity would be low.

1 Like

It is just a 13 gal tub with a locking lid
On it. Before I put all the holes it had a lot of condensation built upon the sides. Now the condensation is building up on the lid and some on the side above the holes. I have a metal water bowl in there. Here is a picture.

1 Like

I figured as many holes i put, humidity would go way down. It is weird. The digital humidity/temp detector could be the problem. It isn’t a expensive one… I will pick up another one to see if that is the problem. The one I have on Tiberius tank works good. His stays in the 60’s most of the time. I spray it when it gets below that.

1 Like

Good deal, sorry I didn’t read closely enough.:flushed:
There are a lot of different ways to set up tubs and racks that can work. Yours looks really good.

1 Like

It will do until I get my snake rack built.
Which will be when it warms up. I started on it before winter last year but had to stop on it. 3/4" PVC should be pretty sturdy. 8 tubs high.

1 Like

Your setup looks great, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. As for humidity I wouldn’t be too concerned, those cheaper humidity monitors seem rather unreliable in my experience.

2 Likes

I got rid of the first humidity thing and got a new one. I stuck it to the hide away from the side of the tub. It will be more so in the middle of the tub. It has gone down to mid 80’s or little more now since I took this picture. Temp is staying about the same. I will keep it wiped out inside if it gets over that. My new BP girl won’t ship until next week. He emailed me today. I can tweak it a little more before then to try to get it better.

1 Like

You could use a smaller water dish to help with the humidity

2 Likes

That makes sense. Why didn’t I think of that. LOL!
Wal mart has smaller one’s like this. I will get one tomorrow. I just had this one on hand. She can’t tip these kind over to easy. Thanks

2 Likes