These D*&# Gnats!

Ok. How does everyone get rid of the fungus gnats from your bioactive enclosures?

Yep. The wife is having a fit.

5 Likes

I make apple cider vinegar traps for them. They’re also fairly prone to just drowning in regular water

3 Likes

These work if you buy extra pads and change them weekly. Stack a few apple cider vinegar traps around it to increase the efficiency.

3 Likes

I would venture that you are dealing with phorid flies and not gnats. They are detritovores and are really really good at finding anything remotely rotten to feed on. Best control method I have found is to redouble cleaning efforts. Never let any solid or liquid waste sit for more than a day, empty your room trash daily, vacuum frequently. I have never found the ACV traps to work for phorids but fly ribbon can help curb numbers

2 Likes

You can try adding springtails. Every time I’ve added springtails they’ve wiped out the gnats. I now have fruit flies which springtails aren’t working. However I’ve tried the Katchy fly trap (linked a couple posts above this one) and it works great.

1 Like

We just added a bunch of new sprintails to the enclosures. Honestly couldn’t remember which ones we had and which hadn’t gotten them originally. And I’m getting some more Katchy’s. I thought the wife was changing the sticky pads and she thought I was so neither were paying enough attention to the one we do have.

3 Likes

Silver springtails outcpmpete them, will be gone within the month when theres no food for them.

1 Like