They're heeeeeere! (New tarantulas!)

The G. pulchripes has been in this exact spot at least since I woke up this morning, and is still there as I type this (she wandered out of the catch cup at some point overnight):

And here’s the T. albopilosus. She’s that little grey thing wedged in the bottom corner of the enclosure.

8 Likes

Very cool, one of my baby scorpion loves to hang upside down too :joy:

5 Likes

Thats about the size of my A. hentzi when I got it! So small I almost lost it.

5 Likes

Yeah, the pulchripes at least is starting to look like a tarantula, but the albopilosus is just this little grey speck. She looks more like a little house spider than a tarantula. Though she does have an adorable little patch of black fuzz on her bum. :heart:

5 Likes

Some day it will look like this!

7 Likes

I can’t wait to see those blond cowlicks!

4 Likes

Not a tarantulas but this little one was super fast and she totally blends in because its still a sling. He or she won’t get color for a while. I know its in the enclosure because i see webbing but i have 9 clue where, i could probably be looking right at it and still not see it. My Tityus Obscurus totally looks like cork bark the only way i can see it is with a black light.

5 Likes

Well, both the new babies have now taken their first meal with me! Such proficient little predators. Those crickets didn’t stand a chance! It’s always a huge relief for me when a new animal eats its first meal for me with no problems.

On a related note, my cricket-wrangling skills have really declined over the years. I was pretty good at it back when I had my beardie when I was a teenager, but he passed away nearly 15 years ago, so to say I’m out of practice is an understatement.

4 Likes

What species is that in the picture?

4 Likes

It is Linothele Sericata common name Columbian Funnel Web or Columbian Curtain Web. This species was reclassed so i believe it had a different scientific name before. Really its not a funnel web but a curtain web. This is what it should look like as an adult.
Screenshot_20220922_202231

5 Likes

I figured it had to be some sort of mygalomorph with those loooong spinnerets. That is a freaking gorgeous spider!

3 Likes

Id love to get a red and black Guyanan curtain web and a Bolivian curtain web. Im excited for my Linothele Sericata to grow so i can really see the colors and amazing webs, currently my enclosure has lots of thin webbing but nothing substantial so i definitely know its in there somewhere, but its muted colors makes it impossible for me to spot especially with my poor eyesight. I love your new inverts :heart: i was looking at electric blue they look amazing.

4 Likes

And me as well!

4 Likes

I feel like I’ve spent the better part of the last two days watching a tiny spider dig a tiny hole. My little albopilosus has been going to town digging her den, and it’s so freaking adorable to watch.

The pulchripes is still spending most of her time out in the open. She hasn’t done much digging, but it’s cool that I get to see so much of her. I knew adult pulchripes we’re known for being nice display tarantulas that spend a lot of time in the open, but I expected one this size to still be pretty shy. We’ll see if her behaviour changes as she settles in.

5 Likes

I think I’m going to name the T. albopilosus Pixie. It just seems to fit. It fits her diminutive size now, and will fit her cute fluffiness as she matures. And while it may be a little girlie, I think it will still work if they turn out to be male.

Still trying to decide on a name for the pulchripes. I’ve been looking into names that mean “gold” or “yellow,” but so far I haven’t found anything that has the right ring to it. I kinda like the name Flavia (could be Flavius if they molt male), but I’m just not sure if it suits her.

3 Likes

I think I’m going to name the G. pulchripes Mathilde. I know, not very gender-neutral, but if it turns out to be male, I can call him Mattie or something. For some reason, she just looks like a Mathilde to me. No matter how many other names I’ve looked at and considered, I keep coming back to Mathilde.

So it’s Mathilde and Pixie.

4 Likes

I don’t know how you feel about hands on interactions with them but your Chaco is the right size for getting it use to it.
My female was the size of a dime and going into her fourth year with me she was very docile. She was about 5.5 inches at that time.
If you are not sure about it , don’t worry. They are just as nice to look at in their enclosures.
Certain species of T’s tolerate handling very well and almost seem to enjoy it.

2 Likes

I actually have handled her a couple times. Mostly I just kinda wanted to see how she reacted, she was super calm and chill. Almost seemed curious (though that may just be anthropomorphizing). I don’t really plan to handle any of my inverts all that frequently, but one of the reasons I chose the G. pulchripes (along with their beautiful colours, impressive size, and general ease of care) is that I liked the idea of having a T I could use to show people that big spiders don’t have to be scary.

So far she’s everything I hoped she would be! She’s also a fantastic eater. Snatches up any feeder I toss to her instantly. Feeding time is the only time she’s not calm and gentle, though. Her speed at taking down prey still startles me a bit; she’s so slow and relaxed most of the time that I forget just how fast she can move with the proper motivation!

3 Likes

That’s awesome that you have had her out. I agree totally about being able to show others that a big spider doesn’t necessarily mean scary. When I sold off my collection due to a messy divorce my G. Pulchripes was right close to 7 inches.

I paired my OBT’S (P. Murinus) about 2:00am one night , when the family was asleep. That was the most stressful pairing of my life. The female was huge, 7.5 inches. She cam out of her hide , walked past the male , up and out of her tub onto the table. By the time I go the lid on (to keep the male in) she was already on the floor climbing up the wall. Catch bottle in hand , I got her back in her tub. Had a successful pairing without the male being her dinner. Had 49 eggs with legs when I pulled the sack about a month later.
OBT’s was the most aggressive T’s I had. Even the Cobalt Blue (H. Lividum) was not that nasty tempered.
Good luck with them and enjoy raising them.

3 Likes

OBTs are so beautiful, but they definitely have a reputation that worries me a little! Definitely want to get some more experience with rehousing and the like before I add one to my menagerie, though I would like one eventually. Though I’ve heard some differing accounts on just how nasty they are. Some people say their individual(s) are almost docile, others says theirs are shy and bolty but not all that defensive…and others report that theirs are basically Satan on 8 legs. :joy: I guess all species can have varying personalities between individuals.

Honestly, the bolting and “teleporting” scares me more than the prospect of being bitten. I have a female western black widow (whose bite is more dangerous than any tarantula), and I’m way more worried about her escaping into my condo than I am about her biting me (though if she did escape, my worries about being bitten would probably increase, haha).

2 Likes