Thoughts on fair pricing for used racks?

I bought my first snake rack in the 1990s Back then there was annually a big breeder “getting out of the hobby” which usually was code for divorce liquidation or busted by fish and game selling native reptiles. The stuff would sell for .25 on the dollar. But that was all melamine racks for Sterilite tubs.
I spent a few months last year shopping for used racks and found the same issues. I refuse to pay retail for a used rack so I bought new and waited.
I suspect we are going to go through a period this year where a bunch of folks that got into breeding in 2020 are going to run out of money to overpay for stuff. Then prices should return to normal,

4 Likes

I love this quote! It’s applicable to so many things in life lol.

2 Likes

I kinda think there may be more stuff coming available, too. Price equalization is happening in a lot of markets, not just snake stuff. I will be keeping my eyes open. Not looking to take advantage of anybody but I, like you, don’t want to pay new retail prices for used. I’m iffy on the whole rack thing anyway. I’ve also read a lot of horror stories about thinking that a used rack was clean and it wasn’t and everybody got mites or worse.

3 Likes

Now that’s what I’m talkin about! Those little buggers can hide in the teeniest of cracks! The Boaphile is back in business and there is a 12 sweater box rack that would be perfect for some of my same temp critters but my dear husband put the kabosh on the idea…… :rage:

1 Like

A used rack actually exists in the physical world. Buying a new rack requires someone to make it most often. And in these cases there is a wait. Something that is already built and proven to work is worth more to me than waiting 18 months to get what I need.

2 Likes

Any time ive seen someone mark down a rack or cage theres a good bit wrong with it. The heat tape has melted something, its bowed, its been outside for a few months, and everything inbetween.

Id happily pay close to full price if it means not waiting 6 months for shipping but its rare to see someone selling a like new rack way cheaper than just waiting for shipping.

I will never buy a used rack or cage ever again bc of those reasons. Supply and demand, its hard to even come by reptile racks or cages for sale close by, so theres plenty of buyers when you do. No one will decrease the prices much bc of that, its easy to find buyers at almost any price.

4 Likes