Too many Dubia Roaches

That’s great. I have been sorting through them each time I get them to feed to the Cresties, but I use nympths / small and I’m new at it so it’s a little hard to get right, I think (hope) I’ve been doing okay as I believe I’ve only got a few of the wrong ratio.

I’m going to sort them today so will see!

Thanks for everything

2 Likes

No problem! I don’t really worry about the exact ratio of the adult’s. When the colony starts to look male heavy I just harvest some of them to either sell or feed to my fish. I’d say don’t sweat it, just feed and water them and they will breed prolifically. I keep mine in a clear bin under my ackie enclosure in a heavy traffic area with no problem at all. Believe me your colony will double in no time!

2 Likes

When an escaped roach got into my chinchilla’s cage, she immediately pounced on it and proceeded to devour it head-first before I could even react, so I’m pretty sure you can just toss the roach(es) in with your rodents and they’ll do the rest. Much like with dogs or cats (or snakes), when they see it moving around, their killer instincts seem to kick in and they know exactly what to do. (We don’t normally think of rodents as predators, but most hunt and eat bugs in the wild, so they do have some predatory instincts).

Edit: whoops, sorry, didn’t realize how old this thread was.

4 Likes

Lol it is fine, it will probably help somebody.

3 Likes