Used rack from a friend…

This is a fun one. First off I am meticulous about cleaning so this is turned into a nightmare for me. A few months ago a “friend” of mine got out of the snake world due to changes in their life, completely understandable, so he offered me some old racks for a really good price and with lead times the way they r currently why not. I clean everything that comes into my home, especially used equipment, so i disassemble the racks, throw out the old tubs and replace the heat tape. The racks r not perfect but they will make great quarantine racks for new animals. I start cleaning the last one and it has a channel for the heat tape. I notice a massive amount of dead mites (yes I am sure, microscope came out) this thing got some extra done to it because I already PAM everything, this rack has been bleached,steamed, medical grade cleaner, steamed again and currently has been PAMed. Now I contacted the “friend” I got these racks from and just asked a few questions, these racks have been empty for months but they admitted they had a few mites and dealt with the issue months before they sold their collection. I never knew this until today, I own one of the animals from their collection, I quarantine for months in a separate part of my house from my main collection, but jeez if you were my “friend” I would have hoped you would have given me a heads up. So please just take this as a reminder clean every piece of used equipment you get…smh on another note just curious if anyone can let me know if they know what iris tub model is roughly 11”w x 16”l x 4”h I know it’s a discontinued tub from an old reptile basics rack I lost two of the tubs can not remember what model this rack was or what tubs went in it beside they were made by Iris USA.

4 Likes