Venomous Section [1337]

Okay, if it escapes from someone’s house into the neighborhood, which is going to pose more of a threat? A cobra or a retic? And the cobra is also much more dangerous to its keeper. Then, it becomes a media headline, and then our fight to keep these animals becomes even tougher.

6 Likes

What are everyone’s thoughts on having a venomous section? I understand, it’s not something that is for everybody. Everyone that pertains to this particular hobby though I feel would appreciate being able to come to MorphMarket , and acquire their preferred venomous reptile. I for one am all for it, under the circumstances of course MorphMarket protecting themselves from responsibility. Thoughts everyone?

4 Likes

Take some time and read through all these older threads. Tons of great info, and great arguments on both sides! I would love a hot, but I know I wouldn’t work with them. I think it’s funny when my ball pythons bite me. And I would be worried about escapees, it’s not the same for my family or neighbors if a 15+ foot retic gets loose compared to a 3 foot inland taipan or something. Just my opinion, I know some think big constrictors are just as dangerous, I don’t! I do know responsible hot keepers who have escape proof, locked separate rooms, standard protocol they always follow ect. I think it’s totally up to you to keep whatever pets you want, responsibly of course.
MM couldn’t be held liable, it’s up to the sellers and buyers just like any other time a agreement is made while using this or any other platform. In my opinion MM is still growing and they will eventually add a hot section, no reason not to provide one. Just my opinion after reading all these threads.

5 Likes

I would love it if there is a venomous section.
I understand there is concerns about owning a venomous snake, I believe it to be the responsibility of the buyer to ensure that he/she have the necessary training, equipment and experience.

4 Likes

If only everyone could be trusted to do so. Even with ball pythons and retics some people do not ensure these things…

People that are seriously considering hots will find sources for such animals during their research… which is the order the process should go.

5 Likes

I’m going to be realistic here in that this should absolutely never be a feature on MM. There is far too much risk involved and almost no reward. We’ve already got enough issues with non-reptile folks and their opinions on large snakes, it’ll only get magnitudes worse if hots are involved.

The thing with venomous is, if someone has the training, equipment, and experience necessary to properly keep these animals, they already know where to find them. There is absolutely no reason to make venomous animals more accessible to the wider public, especially when there are plenty of folks who get into reptiles for the image alone.

I do believe it was Snake Discovery that mentioned in a video (correct me if I’m wrong) that they had a False Water Cobra surrendered to their adoption program because the owner had wanted a real cobra, and when they found out their snake wasn’t dangerous, they no longer wanted it. There was also the story about how they acquired two rattlesnakes, as someone had been keeping them in a hotel room. I’m sure there are plenty of venomous breeders/dealers out there who properly vet their buyers, but all it takes is one idiot to screw up and it makes national news. Just look at the guy from TikTok whose cobra got loose in North Carolina.

Another huge factor in this is that there are almost no resources for shipping anything venomous outside of Delta Cargo. Just this year eight people were arrested in Florida (opinions about FWC’s :poop: aside) for trafficking venomous snakes, several of which are known to the herp community and some which even have active MM seller profiles. One of the people arrested is someone who, iirc, was selling via Fauna Classifieds and had been personally transporting these animals across the country regularly.

Edit: Seems I remembered inaccurately, Snake Discovery bought their False Water Cobra from someone off of Craigslist. Here’s the video:

And this is the video about the rattlesnakes:

5 Likes

I don’t necessarily agree with this. I live in PA which in is extremely lax with their reptile laws. At my first reptile expo ever, one of the first tables was filled to the brim with hots. From what I understand, the permits are pretty easy to get (if there are any, the info is all over the place from what I have read) and there was some of the coolest looking snakes I’ve ever seen. And the best part is, the only requirement the expo had in place was to have your drivers license and be over 18/21 (can’t remember). I do agree that they are overly available as is and a venomous section is unnecessary and should not be put in place. Saying that people who have the experience will know how to find them is like saying that @cmills can draw a smiley face because she has the experience of being a great artist.

3 Likes

Never assume! There’s a saying about that…
People try to get me to draw their faces and I’m like sorry guys, I can only draw funny little toads. And assuming I can draw is way less dangerous than assuming access = experience when it comes to venomous snakes

3 Likes

I ment more of the :slight_smile: kind of smiley face

4 Likes

The comparison was more of a way to show that people can get venomous snakes easily without any experience just like how most everyone can draw a simple smiley face without any artistic experience

3 Likes

I think you weren’t understanding my post, as the section you replied to had nothing to do with how accessible these animals are now. I was pointing out, specifically, that they needn’t be made more easily available than they already are as the people who should be owning them can already find them without having to use something like MM. I also specifically pointed out cases where people who shouldn’t own these animals had gotten them and the negative outcomes that resulted.

2 Likes

I know. I am just in an argumentative mood today and just thought I would add why I personally don’t think MM should have a Hot section. I was actually in a weird way trying to agree with your post but my brain and can’t figure out to to put stuff out properly. Sorry :sweat_smile:

Edit: :man_facepalming: I just accidentally proved my point

4 Likes

I was summoned and need to read this whole post from start to finish now ahahah

5 Likes

As Thomas points out here, by the time you’re actually experienced enough to work with them, you know where to find them anyway.

4 Likes