What morph grew on you?

Which morph did you start out thinking was just not for you, only to change your mind as time went on? Personally I used to think pastel clowns weren’t anything special. Now however I’m really drawn in by their unique head stamps and overall sort of delicate lacy appearance.

In the opposite direction, I was obsessed with super fire when I first saw it but now I think it’s just sort of ok.

1 Like

When I first saw clown pieds and what they were going for about 2 years ago which was 5 to 7k for a baby and I thought that was ridiculously expensive and at the time I didn’t like how they looked. Maybe I just told myself they were ugly just cause of the price lol. But anyway as time went on I fell in love with them and i have a whole project dedicated to producing them now.

1 Like

I didn’t start liking champagnes until I seen it combo’d with an ultramel, but even to this day I won’t buy one without ultramel in it.

Champagne to me, is too overpowering.

1 Like

Champagne for me as well but I like it with hypo. Mimosa combos are nice. Other than that I too don’t have much interest in adding it to anything else.

2 Likes

I don’t like clown–at all. However, I do like the look of Clown Blade. I’m actually considering adding it to my collection even though I really don’t like Clown. As for morphs I used to like, I’m over BELs and most of the BEL complex.

1 Like

What?! Who doesn’t like clown? It’s a staple to the hobby. So what is it you dont like about it?

3 Likes

I have a lesser pair both Het G stripe, I’m not sure if I wanna make BELs or sell the pair, most likely I’ll end up keeping them .

2 Likes

@nathan_e I guess I’m just to old-school. I don’t care much for morphs that change the look so much that I can’t tell it’s a BP. The heavily broken pattern of Clowns is just to jarring to me. Something about the Blade combo calms it down enough to be appealing. I don’t feel the same about stripes or reverse stripes, though I prefer more pattern and contrast. It guess it just takes alkynes.

I wasn’t too hot on clowns at first either, but I’ve grown to appreciate them over the years. Definitely want to add them to my pied projects sometime in the future.

3 Likes

For me it was pieds, really didn’t like them when I got in to this hobby. But no I have done a complete u turn and look forward to adding to my collection. Although I would be adding mid white as the reason I didn’t like the in the first place was that I dont like the look of a low white and a high white especially when all whit with just the head

Champagne was one that’s kinda grown on me (considering I just purchased one). My husband really like the Champagnes, and he doesn’t really know why but he just does. We kept seeing a lot of gargoyles and for whatever reason Gargoyle combo and Champagne are the only ones he really seems to care about.

Clown is still kinda iffy. I like it in some combos, but it’s not my cup of tea. Bamboo is another that’s really grown on me. I didn’t really care of it (thanks to Margo), but one day I was just surfing on here in the Bamboo section and I dunna know… something just clicked in my head with it. It’s probably my one main focus now in my collection is bamboo. I think there is still a lot to discover from this gene and I think it would be cool to focus on the darker/lighter bamboos, and see what can really be done. I wouldn’t mind becoming the John Dague of Bamboos, ha-ha. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve never been much of a fan of the clown gene (I didn’t like what it did to the face/head pattern), but it’s recently grown on me and I’m now considering adding one to my collection. Even more so now that I have seen a pastel clown in person.

Are there any genes that you didn’t originally like but have grown on you, and you now love/have in your collection?

1 Like

Personally when I first saw adult banana ball pythons I thought they weren’t very pretty compared to their babies. But then later I discovered that I really like reduced patterns on Bananas, like genetic stripe. Now I’ve got a Banana pastel g-stripe growing up slowly to a breeding weight haha. Pastel also really improves banana, in my opinion. I find their colors hold really well into adulthood more without tons of freckling or turning brown. (but freckles are cute too)

1 Like

A couple years ago when I first saw the Clown morph I didn’t understand the hype at all, at that time I was only used to colorful colubrids and didn’t have much respect for natural/brown colorations.
But nowadays I am SUPER smitten with the “dripping” like pattern down the sides of Clowns, and the cute little eye marks are awesome. I really did a 180 turn lmao.

The banana gene. I’m still not a big fan of the speckling. It slipped into my collection from a proven breeder I purchased. The coloring it gives with black pastel is killer, which helps me to see past the speckling. I’m definitely getting excited to work with it in the up coming years.

Do you have any pics you’d be willing to share? :smiley:

There is more than just black pastel and banana, I’m just not sure what’s there, but he hasn’t missed a meal.

8 Likes

7 Likes

That’s a bit spectacular! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I wish I could take credit for it but I didn’t produce it. The previous breeder was pairing his mom, he didn’t think she was going to go and sold her. I then paired her with a lemon blast and she obviously choose the other male to sure the clutch. I have been waiting for him to grow up a bit so the original breeder can get a better idea of the genes at play so he can be compensated properly. I will never look at any other banana the same. I would love to see this in a super banana.

1 Like