What Sparked Your Passion for Reptiles?

This handsome boy is one of our most precious animals. Apophis was the first snake we ever had, and he quickly sparked a deep passion inside of us that has blossomed into far more than just a hobby – it is our purpose. Apophis has been through it all with us; every moment of triumph, each hour of defeat, and all the sweat, blood and tears that we’ve shed out of love and dedication to these amazing animals. We feel beyond fortunate to be able to surround ourselves with so much life and love every day of our lives, and we owe it all to Apophis.

What sparked your passion for reptiles?

21 Likes

He’s gorgeous!

I think I’ve always been passionate about reptiles. I had a red eared slider as a kid, but never even considered a pet snake because my mom was terrified of them. When I became an adult, I decided to get a corn snake from a local breeder. I was instantly enamored and I haven’t looked back since. Picture of Wilma, my first corn snake.

15 Likes

I’ve just always loved reptiles. Only recently did I get my first leopard gecko (December of 2019) and started researching on this form, I joined, and now I’m up to 15 reptiles (including 3 frogs) and not planning to stop. :grin:
Funnily reptiles seem to run in the family because at a family reunion some cousins were talking about snakes, they never bred them or got into morphs but they had kept them as pets. Some other cousins have kept a pet leopard gecko. So some of it must be genetic lol.

12 Likes

Always a good topic to read and share.

My interest started when I was 5 or so. A neighbor came over to point out a group of salamanders in our window well. A short time later he came over to point out the box turtle in the back yard. From there we moved over seas to Turkiye where I spent the majority of my free time catching reptiles and inverts. I caught tortoises, agamas, snakes, skinks, geckos and scorpions the most often.

9 Likes

For me it was a mixture between a Educational. Show in pre school where there was a full Grown Burmese python Steve Irwin a a show where they relocated alligators in Florida

4 Likes

It was a huge female albino boa at a Halloween reptile showing. I got to hold her by myself ( the rest of her was on the floor ). I was 5 turning 6 and it changed my life so much that I very stopped asking for a snake until I got one.

But I would give all the credit to Kai for really starting my passion for snakes and boas especially. Having such a good working relationship with him has led me to want to breed boas. So, yes, Kai is the real reason.

15 Likes

I just have a passion for biology and love nature!!! My interest isnt herp specific. That said my 1st encounter with herps as a kid was when I got to meet some friendly green iguanas.

7 Likes

Growing up I was always interested in reptiles and wildlife in general. I remember in the 3rd grade my teacher caught me reading a book about ball pythons because I had it hidden in my history book, or so I thought. Lol. There was something about snakes that ignited a passion in me. If I saw a snake in the yard I was extremely eager to catch it. I bought my first ball python when I was 16 and a Burmese at 17 and my first boa at 19 from my friend that owned incredible pets in Florida. Ever since then its been a great experience with many species raised and I still learn everyday.

7 Likes

I was always an animal lover, but for some reason jut dismissed reptiles. I was much more focused on mammals for the longest time. One day though, a snake discovery video popped up in my youtube feed, and I was bored, so I clicked on it. Then another. Then another. Eventually, I had watched so many snake discovery videos that I actually started to consider keeping a reptile. Then, I got Irwin, my beautiful crested gecko, and it just spiraled after that. I haven’t been in the hobby long, but every second of it has been amazing, and I hope to continue it for years too come.

6 Likes

That’s what sparked my passion for reptiles in general, but I’d like to thank Coop’s Reptiles and Beaches Scaly Beasts for giving me my love for herps from down unda’

3 Likes

I always wanted a snake but my mother would never allow it. Then when I moved out, I went to petco and seen the ball pythons and had to have one. I got one and his name was Mitch. I soon after got another and named him rocky. These were obviously normals. That’s all you could find back i. 2012 at petco. I was surfing the web one night and seen a pied and I could’ve believe it. I said there’s no way that’s real. What followed changed my life lol. I spent the next year learning about all the different genetics and how to successfully keep and breed these amazing animals. Two turned into 30+ really quickly lol.

5 Likes

It was from my cousins bearded dragon which made me love them, That same year i got my first reptile and she was my leopard gecko. After that i got some more geckos and anoles and here i am with a kingsnake @titan42 has more on the topic

3 Likes

Santa (my mom) gave me a Garter Snake when I was 5. Still the best Christmas present ever. It ignited and encouraged a passion for cold-blooded critters.

5 Likes

I have always loved animals and one visit to grandma’s many a day ago when I was but a wee lad (probably around 5) they were having some yard work done and the workers found some tiny reptile eggs. We took one egg home, put it in a jar with some dirt ,and set it on the sun porch. later my mom said she was just waiting for it to be forgotten so she could throw it out cause she thought it wouldn’t hatch, but it did hatch! boda bing boda boom we had a five lined skink named lucky, who was soon released into the wild. Fast forward to when I was ten and my cousin got a bearded dragon. I was intrigued and soon earned my first reptile, a bearded dragon. My love for reptiles has been going strong ever since

6 Likes

I have always loved animals but only ever owned the “typical” pets. I came across a bearded dragon that was being mistreated a handful of years ago and was given the opportunity to take it because the owner no longer cared to take care of it. I was honestly terrified of the thing when I brought him home. We used to call him the dinosaur. But because of my love of animals I couldn’t stand to see the little guy mistreated like he was. I brought him home that day. He had to spend one more day in the bad conditions he was being kept in while I did my research. Once I was learned up I went and bought him the dopest set up a beardie could ever ask for. I was still afraid of him, but he was growing on me and at least he was being taken care of now. Fast forward a few years and we now have 15 reptiles. Koda boy is no longer with us, but he will always have a special place in my heart. With out the chance encounter that lead to us getting him, I might have never found the passion that I have for our scaley friends.

Love you, Koda boy. You are so missed.

4 Likes