When to cut BP eggs?

I do want to add a small caveat here that the “60 days” number that gets thrown around is an estimate so do not freak out and panic if nothing has happened in six days. I have had ball eggs go 71 days before pipping (and I am currently sitting at 95 for one of my colubrid species :scream:) Just keep your eyes on them and your hands to yourself and before you know it you will have little heads poking out

2 Likes

I will say tho on one of the eggs there is a few very small orange dots like mold?

Again, I would just keep an eye on it. If it looks like it is spreading then you can think about what might need to be done about it, but if it stays small I would not worry

1 Like

OK thanks.

1 Like

You have waited this long whats a few more days

Good luck and let us know when you see them hatching. The waiting for little ones really seems to take forever…so difficult :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll let ya’ll know.

Day 56. At what temps? Mine are at day 56 and 30 deg c. They are plump as can be no way of rolling the skin of the egg

Mine are 88.5 degrees but if your eggs aren’t dimpling at all, they kinda start looking like a deflated sack. Do not cut- way too early. You have to have some experience, know when your incubator usually hatches. Mine is a 58- 60 day incubator, without fail. The best way to do this is by letting the first one pip or at least see very clear cuts in the egg before cutting. Most people don’t cut anymore, but I do. I recommend letting them hatch on their own if you are inexperienced, have someone with experience show you when and how to, or at least let the first one pip-cut the egg before proceeding.

3 Likes

On my 6th clutch in about 20 years total keeping balls. I am not a pro and learning everyday from people like yourself. I appreciate your feedback. I forget quite a bit in the gap between eggs so just reading up on everything prior to incubating is how i have to roll to refresh my memory. The clear cuts in the egg prior to egg tooth actually breaking through is a great bit of information. Ill be sure to keep this in mind. Take care

1 Like