Where are the really big Corn Snakes?

And no jungles are not sterile. I have a beautiful f2 albino jungle from jungle parents

And I should find out if my corn x sonoran gophers are fertile for sure but I suspect they will be…

7 Likes

Thanks for clarifying I can be sloppy with words sometimes. Agreed, poor choice of words, they are from where their range overlaps. intergrades was what I used to call them. Not sure on the proper current name
I didn’t even consider them hybrids when I used to breed them back in the day when they were Elephe

What are jungles a mix of ? They are beautiful

So it’s essentially localities for rat snakes?

1 Like

I relent, those are all so gorgeous, I’m now 100% into hybrids!

Thanks for clarifying about the inter-breedability of our North American colubrids @thebeardedherper. I’m rusty, been away from the hobby for a decade or so, and I’ve forgotten half of what I used to know. That is probably the nicest jungle corn I have ever seen. I really appreciate that you take tracking of the provenance of those hybrids seriously. also, darn you to heck, I love the corn/gopher hybrids, they are so cute!

I was reading not long ago about the phylogenetic relationships between the Lampropeltini tribe, and I should have guessed they weren’t sterile based on this paper.

Hidden diversity within the depauperate genera of the snake tribe
Lampropeltini (Serpentes, Colubridae)
https://par.nsf.gov/servlets/purl/10117240

1 Like

@thebeardedherper are they called Cornoran Nophers? Sonoran Ratsnake? Keys Gophers? Cornorans is probably good enough. They need a nickname. I seriously think they are amazing looking, I bet they have fun personalities, too.

The coined name for any corn crossed with any pit is turbo corn, but for a multitude of reasons I hate and refuse to use that term. I just call them what they are Sonoran Gopher Corns

1 Like

I remember that name now! That was established before I left the hobby, yet another thing I had forgotten. I agree, Turbo Corns is a little dumb, but not dumber than Cornorans. Calling them what they are is a respectable take. Thanks for the education.

Same here, Its part of the reason I first joined the forums .Its a good place to update and learn.

2 Likes

And all the old forums are dead or disused or just plain suck. Facebook sort of destroyed the herp community online, in my opinion. I’m strongly against FB these days, in general.

I’m really glad MorphMarket has filled that niche again, I’m very impressed with the marketplace itself, and the community here is growing. (I’m a longtime web developer, my day job.) I don’t love the forum UI, but it isn’t bad bad, and I’m sure it will improve. The MM team is doing a pretty good job of managing their growth, I think. Glad to be here.

1 Like

“Jungle Corn” means Cal King x Corn. I didn’t see that anyone else responded, and you probably found out on your own already. :smiley: But there it is.

1 Like

Thanks, I wouldn’t have guessed cali by looking at the pictures.

And yes, I agree with your other forums and facebook comments.

You can always put a suggestion in the community feedback re the UI. I find the UI OK though. Still anything can be improved,
Glad they don’t have negging/downvoting though, its lazy and personal. Better to just put your opinion forward. For one example, the civilized debate in this thread has shifted both our opinions on Hybrids to some extent.

1 Like

I don’t think hybrids are for me, but I do think they often produce beautiful critters.

Our current plans include focusing on captive bred locality and wild-type animals of various species, many that are under-represented in private collections but still make reasonable pets. Don’t get me wrong, we’re going to produce quite a few corn snake and ball python morphs and maybe others, but I want to focus on the beauty of wild-type herps as a specialty. Sinaloan milk snakes are on that list. A clean wild type Sinaloan is hard look to beat, in my book. I have heard tales of big Sinaloans, I would love to get my hands on some.

1 Like