Where Do You See Yourself in this Hobby in the Foreseeable Future?

after getting a house with some land and building a reptile room and some outdoor enclosures for iguanas , turtles and tortoises, we would like to be able to breed a number of different species on a semi successful level and maybe even break even. we plan to produce very bright colored morphs in several species, such as retics, balls, burms, leos, cresties, hognose and maybe boas or bloods, still undecided on those but wed like to have our toes in the water in a lot of different species even if it is on a small scale like only owning a 1.1 pair or a small breeding group.

3 Likes

Deeper in debt

7 Likes

I am a late bloomer in reptiles. Got into them about three to four years ago because of my now 12 years old son who always wanted a reptile. Went to a reptile expo and got hooked.

I mainly am planning on keeping reptiles and breeding them as a hobby. I like my normal job, have great colleagues and a really nice atmosphere in my working place, it gives financial stability and also feel that it gives me the chance to make a little positive difference in society and for people so I do want to keep this job. But reptiles are only for our own pleasure as a hobby. At first I hope in the next coming weeks to get our first ball python eggs. Bred our three oldest girls this year. Get my feet wet and get this one going. The breeding, incubation, taking care of the babies and eventually selling. I can’t wait to see what combinations we will get and to share this experience with my son. To make some money is nice but more as a icing on the cake. I am also working on cutting cost in other ways like already breeding ASF’s for about a year and signed in and got everything going for a solar panel program from my energy company so I can seriously cut energy cost without investing a lot of money. This so I don’t have to worry if it takes longer to sell them. To be honest, It would be nice to make some money to pay for extra cost but it’s not the most important part.

For the longer run I decided I mainly really want to keep all the animals we have today. I’m not planning on breeding the gecko’s, bearded dragon and blue tongue skinks but do want to breed the snakes. I admire every snake we have. They do so well and I everytime I take them out they make my heart jump a little. To me every single one of them is really a beauty, not only because they carry the right genes but because I just love their version of the genes. So no more new snakes for me until I proved to myself that I really got the breeding and everything around it under controle and tried enough with the ones I have. And even when time passes I want to be able to keep the 21 snakes we have now even if they never lay an egg in their life, and keep some of their offspring. I’m just happy when buying I did made the choice to go for multiple gene animals and have three recessive genes in the mix so I can still go for years and still everytime get different combo’s, so keeping them also makes sence for breeding.

Breeding will be concentrated at first on ball pythons but in time I would like to breed a little with our Sonora boa’s and go for some nice pure sonora leopards. And in some years when our Nicaragua girl is old enough, I hope to find a pure Nicaragua male for her and make some babies. The 100% locality boa’s are really rare here in Europe and I really love the boa looks in the so much smaller package. But for now, just hope the first round going and learn a lott about everything that’s goes along with breeding.

In the very long run I just hope to be that old retired lady with her house full of reptiles. Enough to keep me busy but not so much that I have to sell the ones I really love and admire because my arthritis or anything like that forces me too.

5 Likes

Name of the game baby!

1 Like

I hope I’ll at least become an established ball python breeder someday. I’ve just finally had a first clutch and it’s already rocky, two eggs have possibly gone bad and one is looking a little sketchy (there’s only seven in all). I’m gonna continue in ball pythons for awhile and expand to other snake species. I have a BCC\BCI cross and a sand boa which has kinda made me want to get into boas later as well. At the moment I only have eight ball pythons, only one of my females has bred and I’m raising two others up, ones close but the other still has about a year and a half. Overall a successful breeding business would be ideal.

1 Like

My plans only extend for 10 years currently as i need to take things in increments. So my 10 year plan is to convert my basement into one large reptile room. Im hoping by year 10 i can upgrade my snakes from rack systems to proper 6x2x2 pvc cages. The quantity will likely be higher as ill have holdbacks for my projects, as well as i still need a palmerston female carpet python. In the immediate, my collection will go a bit down in size in the next year hopefully. I want to find good pet only homes for my 2 albinos that i dont plan to use for breeding, as well as for my 2 mixed subspecies axanthic carpets. Though i may hold onto Mr. Noodle for some time because he is a extrenely picky eater, and im iffy about giving him to somebody that doesnt know his behaviors.

Also in the next year i may get 1-3 bredls. Ive got my eyes on 3 of em, but until i get another rack ($5k will be needed for this) i dont think it would be wise to get any more, or until i rehome the non breeders.

I also hope to have my first sales within the next 4 years. Hoping to prove out my axanthic 50% het granite papuan. If he proves out, itll speed things up for me and id be able to sell some double hets as my first sales. Also hoping my 33% axanthic male coastal proves out to my hypo 100% het axanthic coastal, as that would give me the first axanthic hypo pure coastals in the US (if other breeders dont beat me to it).

I have more in depth project plans, but thats the broad spectrum of what i see for myself.

3 Likes