Which rack for babies?

The Freedom Breeder “Pro Line” racks are actually on par cost wise with the ARS hybrid racks. Both have their pros and cons but I prefer the freedom breeder for a few reasons. I have racks of both.

Freedom Breeder has superior tubs, welded corners, removable tops, better frame material in stainless steel. I think the ARS was easier to put together because rivets can be a pain. I think the ARS slides better. Freedom breeder tubs are easier to line back up and slide into the rack because the rails extend to the very edge of the frame. The stainless steel shelf option for the freedom breeder rack is amazing as well.

When comparing to PVC cage options if you compare cost per cage the steel rack systems aren’t actually all that much more. Very high resale value on steel framed cages as well, worth the investment I think!

2 Likes

I use the C Serpents rack with the V-18 tubs it comes with the heat tape installed and the tubs included. You just need to plug it into your thermostat ( I use the Inkbird you can get it on Amazon for $35) place the heat probe where you want it and screw the back on. They hold heat and humidity very well. You will probably need to add ventilation holes in the tubs depending on where you live.

1 Like

I am in the same situation as the person who originally posted this, I need to purchase some racks for next season and I am just trying to do my research. This topic comes up quite a bit on various forums and the common response is to “invest in quality”, referring to ARS & Freedom Breeder. Aside from the professional appearance, could anyone tell me why these are better than the Reptile Basics racks? I am happy to spend more for a better product, but I’m not sure this is the case. Neither rack is going to rust, the PVC is 1/2" thick, which means it wont sag, heat & humidity retention are good on both(arguably better on the PVC racks). As far as cost goes, I laid out the cost, including shipping for comparable space, it’s almost double the cost for ARS/FB. I attached the cost breakout here. I tried to make this as “Apples-to-Apples” as possible. This compares 6 of the VE-6 racks to 1 option each from FB & ARS. Shipping costs were a big factor here (free shipping from Reptile Basics over $100).

I’m not trying to challenge the ARS/FB rack supporters, I really just want to know what the rationale is to spend more for those racks so I can make my own decision on which rack to go with. Thanks all for your help here!

4 Likes

You did some homework! Good job, I like seeing people think things through with a thorough analysis.

A few counter points:

1. There are ways to eliminate the entire cost of shipping with ARS/FB. Namely, picking up directly from their production facility or from one of the shows they deliver to. I happen to live 30 minutes from Daytona and have picked up racks from both companies at no cost.

2. Tub quality. ARS and FB tubs are better, no doubt. Better design with grey options, built in water bowl holders, more rigid/better plastics.

3. PVC can bend. A mishap when moving can damage the frame structure. This wont happen with a steel rack. My rack systems were entirely PVC when I kept boas and I experienced this.

4. Space efficiency. How many of the same size tubs does a VE-6 rack pack in comparatively? I can tell you FB Pro-Line is slightly more space efficient vs ARS Hybrid racks (I have two side by side). And FB commercial (welded rails) and ARS commercial (welded rails) are going to pack even more in.

5. You’re comparing the commercial fully welded ARS/FB options instead of the more economical hybrid/proline options. They are a fair bit cheaper.

6. Tubs slide better on rails vs fully enclosed PVC.

7. Stainless steel covered heat strips on the steel racks versus recessed PVC. Even though the heat tape is recessed with PVC it can still rub (sometimes it pops up and still makes some contact etc). Heat tape getting rubbed down can lead to a fire hazard.

Having said that they’re all great options that will do a fantastic job for many years. Reptile Basics free shipping does give them a distinct advantage especially for people who don’t have the option to pick up at shows etc.

4 Likes

Thank you for the detailed response!

Great points, especially #7. I use Pro Product heat panels in my PVC adult enclosures, honestly the idea of heat tape freaks me out a little.

#4 is actually in favor of the Reptile Basics Rack, Space wise, you could throw three VE-2 racks on top of the stacks of VE-6 and fit 9 more tubs than the FB/ARS racks in a little less space. (and still spend over a grand less, even taking out the shipping costs and getting the lower grade FB/ARS options)

I’m not too worried about the PVC frame structure, 1/2" is pretty solid, and I’m not moving in the next 10 years. I could see how this would be a concern though for anyone that could potentially be moving any time soon.

Thanks again for your input. I will most likely be going with the Reptile Basics but can see why some people would buy into the features and benefits of the stainless steel rack companies.

2 Likes

So, I’m just wondering all your guys opinions on this. I would like a rack system that could fit tubs that are big enough for adult male boas but if I decide to not put them in there, I can house neos and subadults by switching tubs.

My main question is, would it just be better to buy a baby/subadult rack now and house the two males I am currently growing up in there until I know if I want to house all the breeders in T8s? Putting everybody in T8s with my original plan, but now I’m wondering if getting the rack now would be the best option, even if I still stay with the original plan in the long run.

2 Likes

Also, I just want to say this is hysterical because number 5 is on the way :joy:.

5 Likes

That’s a good question, I’m unaware of any that can use tubs large enough for adults and also hold small tubs.

With that said I highly recommend the Reptile Basics VE-6 racks for neonates up to 3’ or so.

3 Likes

I will definitely look at those! Thank you.

2 Likes

Have you considered any of the fb/ARS racks? I’m about to pull the trigger on some 5540/7030 levels, as I can add more down the line 1 level at a time.

Just a thought!

I’m speaking from a ball python side of things as well, so maybe that changes things.

1 Like

Just my opinion, as I currently have 4x2x2 PVC cages for all of my boas. But I am looking into racks for when I can start breeding next year. But I think the FB/ARS racks are way over the top for what the average small breeder needs. The VE6 offers the flexibility of 11qt tubs for new borns and 23qt for hold backs. I’m sure the ARS/FB racks will hold up against more abuse than the average PVC rack, but I don’t think it’s a necessary investment, unless you plan on multiple moves for your collection(military, etc).

1 Like

I used to think that too, but if you compare cost per tub/animal housing they truly start to become comparable. I don’t have a massive collection, something like 27 ball pythons right now with 6 being breeder females.

The smaller fb/ARS tubs you can buy them one level at a time, and they come with the tubs and you can just continue to stack them.

Just my opinion, but they’re definitely comparable in cost.

1 Like

If you include shipping costs, the cost per tub on a FB/ARS rack is double of what a Reptile Basics setup would be. Scroll up on this convo, I posted the worksheet back in Sept.

Someone mentioned that there are cheaper options for FB/ARS than the examples that I used, but even using the cheapest options from those companies, you are still spending about a thousand more for the same number of tubs.

2 Likes

consider the hybrid models for their racks. if you look at the 1065, (13 levels 65 tubs, $2,495) you’re looking at a cost per tub of roughly 38 dollars. I’m a little more flexible as I can drive to the location that they are at, and pick it up negating shipping. but you can also pick up at any big shows they go to if you attend or are near those. which i see all these points now are covered by @biologicalcanvas above. I’m not trying to tell someone to go one way or another. Just trying to show that the cost are closer than what you are claiming, not nearly double the price.

like I mentioned, I’m comparing them on my end for ball pythons, which I’m looking at the 5540 model and the 7030, while some of the other common name pvc brands are closer to $100 per tub on these, ARS isn’t much higher. Personal preference does play a big role in this as well, but costs aren’t double.

1 Like

And it only took a few months instead of a few years. You’re way ahead of schedule!

3 Likes

I am very blessed to be able to be. My plan is not what I am worried about making, so I am good with being flexible :smiling_face:.

4 Likes

Another question on this topic….

Any issue with starting new born boas in slightly bigger tubs? For example, VE 23qt (22x15x4) or ARS 50 series (27x13x5). I’m just thinking I’d rather start bigger than have to worry about getting a 2nd larger rack in the near future. Assuming that first time boa breeders will take longer to sell through the first litter(s) until they make a name for themselves.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t want to go straight to cb70 size with them (more to do with potential tolerance issues than size) the ve23 qt would work.

2 Likes

As long as you have enough hides you can start them in as big of an enclosure as you please. I raised a few newborn baby boas in 4x2 pvc cages with ample hides. It’s not going to be nearly as efficient when it comes to substrate, cleaning time etc but it’s a viable option if you want to start off with an enclosure big enough to maintain them through adulthood.

4 Likes

I raise the boas that I get, after quarantine, in 4x2x1s. I’ve not had one issue if I provided them with enough hides. I use anywhere from 3 to 4. I’ll use 3-4 properly sized hides with some fake covering plant stuff, and everyone eats just fine. You might one day get a difficult eater, but I’m sure that can be solved with more cover and more hides, boas are pretty bulletproof.

4 Likes