Who else kids love Reptiles?

I hadn’t seen this thread until just now; what an awesome topic!
I grew up with a love for all animals. I had a cat that my mom approved of but my dad was the one who took me with him every weekend to fish or hike or to just be out in nature. He taught me about reptiles around age 3 and from there our little zoo began. He’d take me to a spring to see salamanders. Then he’d catch garter snakes and lizards and we would save turtles from being run over on the road (and take home a few of them). When I was 4 I had a little petting zoo exhibit that he invited family, friends and neighbors to visit and I will never forget that. I dressed as Annie Oakley. My dad even talked my mom into getting me an iguana.
When my dad passed 7 years ago, we only had 4 cats (my 3-year-old, my husband and me). One day we went into a souvenir shop at the beach and my daughter went nuts when she saw an anole for sale. She was adamant that we buy it. She was great with it (Ariel) and I just knew it was meant to be. The day we bought Ariel I felt a profound comfort and connection to my father when I picked her up for the first time. It changed our family for the better. The more animals we adopt the stronger I feel the connection to my dad. So with much thought and consideration of our available living space and capacity to care for each pet, we have a mini zoo.
Our daughter is now 10 and has such a great way with each and every one of our pets and it’s so heartwarming. She decided at 8 years old that she would like to breed ball pythons because they’re her favorite reptile. She came up with a business name and drew up her logo. l had her drawing turned into a professionally done logo for her birthday. We are a ways off from actually breeding any of our snakes but she loves going through the ads on MM and I cover up the morph name and she tries to guess the morphs. She’s gotten prety good. With my help, she’s learning basics of running a business and has taken a stab at creating her business plan. If she continues with this same goal/dream of having her own business, we will proceed once I feel we are educated enough on ball pythons and are financially ready to take on such a huge endeavor.
She has been able to educate and change quite a few young minds regarding reptiles in her school. Hopefully the knowledge the kids get from her will carry on to the parents in our small community because there are so many adults who prefer to eliminate any snake they come across. Thanks for reading.

5 Likes

My youngest is in love with them and enjoys helping me with them. I just git her her very own ball python to care for (granted she will be in the rackbwith everyone else, but I still want her to be responsible)

7 Likes