Why do you breed?

Although we first bred corns in 1988 I am a keeper at heart.
I COULD breed lots and lots as we have a lot of animals but I don’t.
I usually throw a lot of eggs to the tegu and red foot tortoises. People mainly question me due to the money aspect of it LOL… Money doesn’t fuel me. If it did I wouldn’t keep 130 reps and amphibs, lots of inverts, 10 cats, mammals and 5 dogs!!! My weekly bill for the food, toys, bones, livefood, electricity is shocking hahaha. I only buy the best for them. I don’t do TV, holidays, have kids (or want them) I haven’t bought new clothes for years…no mobile contract blah blah…My animals are my hobby/life but it is ALL about them.
I do breed a few things annually. Mostly because I want them. This year I want to raise some iguanas. I know you can just go catch them in florida but I’m in the uk and have waited a long time like 25 years for these. There aren’t as many in rehome centres these days and I didn’t incubate a whole clutch. I prefer to trade with breeders if they have a species I want. If I do get any money I only usually sell to friends so its “mates rates” in one hand…out the other on electric or livefood lol. I have a conscience. I just cannot sit back and cook 4 bearded dragon clutches, even if they are high end, or make more low end corn snakes. WHY? I just don’t want to be responsible for more common pets ending up passed from pillar to post. I actually state with any sells or trades, should something happen then the animal can come back to us. I had some balls cooking. They are wild x pastel. I ended up freezing them I couldn’t do it. So yea I breed for me.

7 Likes