Why is BWC also known as boa woman caramel called caramel hypo on mm? [DONE]

I’ve never heard it referred to this way by anyone long term in the hobby. It was Bwc when I was in the hobby in the 00s and everywhere else now.
There’s a dispute going on about it now on fb. Would mm staff be interested in changing it?

Should I email the mm’s contact or is this an okay venue?

4 Likes

Hi @hare_hollow_farm
I just made this a Morphmarket support topic so that @staff will be more likely to see it. I personally believe that it is a MM lingo issue but thank you for bringing it up and we will see what we can do.

4 Likes

Thank you @lumpy :blush:
I have moved this into the #morphmarket-support:genetics subcat.

@hare_hollow_farm thank you for bringing this up!
Can you help make this clearer and easier to process using the form below (copy and paste the New Information section into a new comment)?

Genetic Review Form.

Current information
Species: Boa Constrictor
Name of Gene: Albino (Caramel-hypo)
Genetics Type (Incdom/Codom/Recessive/Polygenic/etc): Recessive

New information

@hare_hollow_farm please fill out as much as you can, answers do not need to be lengthy. If appropriate you may forward this request to someone who is more able to supply the answers.

Species:
Name of Gene:

Genetics Type (Incdom/Codom/Recessive/Polygenic/etc):
In complex with other genes?:
Other names/aliases for it?:
Description:
Related Genes:
Problems: Any problems?
Other History: Any additional history?
Disagreement or Controversy:
References here on the community:

Other(if something not listed above, please use this section to explain what and why you would like changed):

3 Likes

Genetic Review Form.

Current information
Species: Boa Constrictor
Name of Gene: Albino (Caramel-hypo)

New information

@hare_hollow_farm please fill out as much as you can, answers do not need to be lengthy. If appropriate you may forward this request to someone who is more able to supply the answers.

Species: Boa Constrictor - Honestly this needs to be updated too. Boa imperatpr has full species status so all the old subspecies need to be demoted and imperator and sigma risen to species level. I can suffer through the old taxonomy if you fix the name. :rofl:
Name of Gene: Albino (Boa Woman Caramel)

In complex with other genes?: Allelic with Sharp, I don’t think two genes makes a complex
Other names/aliases for it?: BWC
Description: T+ albinio
Related Genes: Sharp, Prodigy is likely the same gene
Problems: Any problems? “Caramel-hypo” is not the commonly used term to refer to this gene. And calling it hypo as the founder did originally for a time just causes confusion with the hypo/salmon/orangetail gene that already exists. Referring to it on morphmarket as just Caramel might be okay but it’s so entrenched in the vernacular as “Boa Woman Caramel” that even the acronym is extremely common. You can google either" BWC" or" Boa Woman Caramel" and find pictures of this morph. You google “caramel-hypo” and you get cornsnakes and morphmarket.
Other History: Any additional history?
Disagreement or Controversy: There was some early disagreement on whether it should be called a hypo or caramel but that disagreement has long since faded and it’s universally called Boa Woman Caramel.
References here on the community:
References:
http://forums.kingsnake.com/viewarch.php?id=1187833,1187833&key=2006
http://www.basicallyboas.com/secret.html
Other(if something not listed above, please use this section to explain what and why you would like changed):

3 Likes

Nice work! This sort of thing is so very helpful. Thanks to the MM staff, also, this process is pretty good.

3 Likes

@hare_hollow_farm I have one question. Looking at basicallyboas page, apparently there is a Caramel Albino which is not the same as BWC.

The Caramel was produced by Sharon Moore of The Boa Store. This is not to be confused with the VPI “T-Positive” Albino also known as Caramel Albinos.

The problem we have now in simply renaming the “Albino (Caramel Hypo)” to BWC, is that what if some of the ads tagged wtih this are actually Albino (Caramel). In that case, changing to BWC would also be a misrepresentation.

What do you recommend?

2 Likes

Thank you for looking into this.

I know very early only any T+ was referred to as caramel albino irrespective of lineage but I promise you that no one refers to VPI or any other T+ lineages as just “caramel albino” now in boa spaces. Even BWC is never or rarely referred to as just “caramel albino.”
And you also correctly call other T+ lineages by “Albino (appropriate moniker)” so why carve out a name that doesn’t exist in common vernacular “Caramel-Hypo” in lieu of “BWC.” You’re solving a problem that doesn’t exist in my opinion ie confusion between BWC and all of the other T positive albinos that could be referred to as caramel albinos.

“Albino (Caramel)” isn’t a category boas so switching all of “Albino (Caramel-hypo)” to “Albino (BWC)” wouldn’t change anything to ads in those categories and would clear up any confusion about whether or not these animals also have the incomplete dominant hypo gene when people are typing or referring to what they purchased outside of MorphMarket .

1 Like

Boa constrictor constrictor is still valid as nominate due to subspecies like Bco and Bca. Boa imperator imperator would be the nominate as we now have subspecies of Boa imperator - Bis & Bil.