180cm Candoia buildout

As promised in another thread, my buildout on the Candoia bibroni cage

The cage is a 180cm (6’ for you non-metric folks) from BlackBox

Testing the mass needed to fully flatten the cork tiles for the background

I tried three different adhesives. The cork company recommended contact cement. Honestly, both of these sucked. The Gorilla never adhered, the Weldwood was so noxious that I felt ill just popping the lid open and dipping the brush so I refused to move forward with it.

In the end, I went with my old standard:

First tile being glued down and the rest getting size placed

And the tiles all cut to size and shape to maintain ventilation

Background in place and drying

Placing hardscape

Determining UV and heat position and spread

And placing the fixtures

Addition of media

Planting. I use a species of wandering bromeliad that has narrow leaves and tends to clump, so it it ends up looking more like a sedge when fully established

Placing the basking shelves

And the final product with the new inhabitants

12 Likes

You forgot to convert it into Blue whales

Anywho, wow! It turned out great! Love all the plants. Do you plan on adding leaf litter and a CUC (If you haven’t already)?

4 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

3 Likes

Wow that looks great! Can you come pretty up my BlackBox now :smile: I love the plants

3 Likes

Really nice looking build! That plant species you used is so cool, I definitely want to look into using it in some of my own setups. Nice pieces for the hardscape as well.

2 Likes

I still need to collect some leaf litter, I depleted my bags building out a few other cages and just have not had the time to go out and grab some more. As far as CUC, there are some isopods in there (whatever the local ones are) and I have springs everywhere as it is so I am sure they will colonize in no time. I may throw in a few domino roaches once I get the leaf litter in, they seem to do well enough in the few other cages I have tossed them in

2 Likes