18x18x18 Tropical Enclosure Lizard?

The wife and I have decided that we want to get an 18x18x18 enclosure and really plant it up and make it just our best ever bioactive enclosure and really kinda showcase it here at home. Only problem is, what kind of tropical-type lizard would really work for this size enclosure? Maybe something intermediate range in difficulty of keeping.

Thanks!

Mourning geckos are an idea. Real simple to keep and they are also parthenogenetic so you will have a self-sustaining population…

Some of the smaller day geckos would probably work as well.

If you do not go too far tropical (e.g., soaking wet vines and fog machine and 24 hour dripping condensation), some of the Central American Coleonyx species might be good too

3 Likes

I like both of those ideas a lot. Especially the morning geckos…better consult with the wife!

Many Thanks!

2 Likes

That was my suggestion as well, mourning geckos. From experience with the same type of enclosure though, you’ll want to take measures against babies being able to get in the cracks around the lid and especially the gaps where the doors close, and above them. They can absolutely escape out the holes in the back where the mister and thermometer and hygrometer cables come in, so make sure you have a way to prevent them from getting out. Ultimately, I used a lot of reindeer moss, but I’m sure there’s all kinds of ways you can do it.

1 Like

Axle brings up a very good point, I probably should have mentioned the escape prowess of the babies…

3 Likes

And on the note of them escaping I’ve heard of them infesting (or at least reproducing in) houses due to their room-temperature temperature requirements.

2 Likes

And I was always also careful to use a flashlight to make sure there was nobody hiding in the crevices above the doors when it was time to feed and mist the enclosure, they loved to hang out in there when they could fit.

2 Likes

Yeah I started thinking about all the hard-to-stop openings and the like and I think the Central American banded geckos may be a better route. Can a few of those cohabitate?

1 Like

A male with two females or just a couple three females should be fine so long as you give them multiple places to hide and segregate from one another if they want. Multiple males would be bad though

Another possibility that just came to me - Cave geckos. They are a little larger, but a pair might do alright in that size setup

2 Likes

Personally would go taller if you can for an gecko/lizard. Mournings are non stop we have found! Very active and love space!
I have a Exo that size but I know if I were to put them in it they wouldn’t be happy as not enough height for them. We have had all our days in 45x45x60 and bigger.

And as said. They are escape artists. We’ve lost them many times :rofl: got them back though haha.

1 Like

Im liking the cave gecko and banded gecko ideas. Some interesting ideas on design running loose in my little brain.

1 Like