Strange Boa behavior (at least to me and what I have known with prior snakes)

Ill start with- I did search and came up with varying things - and im probably just being paranoid…but:

I got my Lipstick Junglow on 9/9/2022 (she was born June 22nd), it been almost a month. She has crushed food 3 times (f/t Hoppers), shed once, and has gotten bigger. She is being tap trained.

Tank conditions:
20G Tank
thermostat controlled UTM under the warm side, set at 90 degrees
dimmer switch controlled ceramic heat lamp to put a surface bask at 90 on warm side
24" UVB 5% (on for 13 hours a day)
ambient on warm side: 89F
basking temp: 90F
ambient on cold side: 79F
humidity, warm side: 70%
humidity, cold side: 80%
substrate: Coco Husk + Spaghum Moss

Ok with that out of the way I have never seen her do any of this yet:

• bask
  • use the hide
  • soak in her water ( i have seen her score a drink twice )
  • POOP/PEE.

I spot check multiple times a day looking for defecation and nadda. She spends all her daytime in the warmside corner. Her temperament is perfect, I hold her nightly unless I have fed her within 48 hours.

I have tried multiple arrangements. One hide, two hides on either side ect. This is where I am currently at:

This corner is her favorite spot where she spend 99% of her time (with the moss ball moved).

She loves this moss ball and hides under it in that same corner.

Cage setup:

Its been a month so getting kind of worried but probably over thinking, what do you think? Ive had a few boas, and they were always using hides/soaking.

5 Likes

She seems fine. She must feel safe in the corner with the moss. Remember each animal is an individual and will sometimes surprise us with new to us behavior.

10 Likes

Ya I hear ya, i feel like I am overthinking it…but she hasn’t pooped in a month despite feeding 3 times lol. All my previous boas as babies always popped within a week or two of eating haha

2 Likes

Just keep an eye on her and if she starts looking full in the back end try soaking her to help things along.

5 Likes

Will do !!

1 Like

I will let you know that neither of my boas bask or soak in their water, and Willow doesn’t use her hides but sits out on her tree all day. I think it comes down to them all being individuals. She seems fine, definitely keep us updated on her.

6 Likes

So I have 4 boas. Three of them I got as in the hold in the palm of your babies. Two of them made themselves parents without my consent, long story lol. I kept one of the babies and she is in a Boaphile enclosure. She is all over the place in her enclosure. She and her 10 clutch mates were born May 26th of this year so she is almost 4 months old and eating ft fuzzies.

I am saying all that to say this. If she is constantly on the hot side maybe she is having trouble digesting her food so therefore no poop. Is there a possibility that she has ingested some of the substrate with her meals? From my experience I know that snake babies sometime have trouble passing substrate if it is ingested with a meal. I fed all my babies on paper towels until they got larger.

I may be all wet here but IMO it’s not a good sign when a snake stays in one spot all the time but as @lumpy says, in general boas are all individuals with different personalities.

If your boa is in fact impacted she may quit eating. If that should happen, a trip to the vet may be in order. I am just throwing this idea out to you because of my experience working for a vet who treated exotics as well as the usual dogs, cats, etc.
Plus no poop is odd.

3 Likes

Also the poop could have come out with the shed if she shed all in one piece. Ok now I am done!!!

1 Like

My boa rarely uses her hide and sometimes she burrows under the coconut but has never soaked a day in 2 years. She’s 4.5 foot long and I can still have trouble spotting her feces, with the size of your boa I wouldn’t be surprised if it blended into the substrate.

2 Likes

Ya I am not seeing any indication of impaction, i dont see or feel lumps on her rear section and she takes food without hesitation. If she stopped eating then I would def be worried. Also she hasn’t eaten any substrate, i take the hide out and put a plastic bin in the cage, and pop her in there and feed her. She gets a lot of exercise nightly, and when I put her back in the cage will do laps or so, then go right back to her corner.

2 Likes

When she was going into shed she would burrow. But that was about it lol

Do you have a temp gun to measure temps? I am just asking because made it is cooler/hotter then you have it set.

1 Like

Yep I use a laser temp gun.

1 Like

And what are the reading that you are getting? Exactly what you set it as?

1 Like

Sounds like you are doing everything right for her! I did not consider that her substrate is dark. I use shredded aspen and even with that, the poop is hard to see sometimes!

IMO if it’s not broke don’t fix! Lol​:wink::+1:. So as long as she is eating and shedding everything should be ok for her!

And by the way she is GORGEOUS!!!

3 Likes

The basking temp i posted in the first post was taken with the temp gun. Also the cold side (when the thermometer is put on top of the substrate is within 1 degree of the temp gun.

1 Like

Ok, I just wanted to make sure.

2 Likes

Lots of snakes hold onto their poop and only defecate with a shed. No need to worry.

2 Likes

I fed her last night. She fed immediately and quickly. Voracious eater lol.

2 Likes

One of the many things I love about boas.

2 Likes