40c 104f plus ++ predicted for the uk next week unprecedented temperatures. what do I do?

yea we do, (paypal and ebay and everything else that a first word county has) I think i need a portable A/C for my snake room too. Never needed it in in the UK in my 25 years, but its different times.
Like I said, we are built for heating as a cold contrary, but times change so I got one for my office this week so my computers and myself dont over heat. but my animals need it too.

1 Like

Yes i have seen such changes in temperatures and weather since i was a child. Every year the riverbed would flood near me so the city spent millions widening and depening the riverbed, now there is a golf course right in that same riverbed. Im sure you should invest in a portable cooling option as im sure things will continue to heat up. I barely see snow on the mountains near me where every year they were beautiful as a child.

My enclosures need high heat i keep the internal temps about 80Ā° and the hot spot at 90Ā° and i have to keep the humidity between 40-50% it shouldnā€™t exceed that 50 as my scorpions are very vulnerable to fungal infections ( except my Parabuthus Villosus Orange) this species inhabits South Africa so its more humid there. So im always vigilant to where i purchaed dehumidifier in each enclosure and one room dehumidifier.

1 Like

I live in the Midwest where we deal with 100+ F temps regularly along with 20 below, portable AC units are probably best bet. They have a tube that pumps the hot air out a window and work well for a single room. A window unit may be cheaper, but since the UK is the way it is I figure thatā€™s a perfect reason to have low cost, low intensity AC units for these types of scenarios. Maybe Iā€™m wrong? Good luck friend, Iā€™m sure your eggs will be ok in the end! :slight_smile:

As an aside, yesterday I thought my AC broke, 100+F temps. I keep all my snakes in the same room with a window/wall unit, and I called my landlord - his solution was a portable unit til they could fix the one I had. Pretty neat - but it turned out Iā€™m just dumb and the surge protector tripped cuz the unit was working so hard! Lol

3 Likes

I do agree, Portable AC units are your best bet, as stated by others already. You can use one to cool a room for you, your housemates or pets, and the snakes, to hang out together in more liveable temperatures. (This is one spot where well insulated homes have a benefit- they hold in the cold air if you can make any. Just do anything else you can to ease the electricity burden- not running much else while the AC is on may help prevent tripped breakers. You donā€™t want to lose power while you need AC! )

Unfortunately, Evaporative Cooling/ ā€œSwamp coolerā€ methods may not work well in more muggy humid parts of the UKā€¦ which is most of it. There may not be enough evaporation to cause any temperature shift that is noticeable.

Providing snakes and other pets with plenty of water will of course help, especially if the dish is ceramic, and shallow but large enough for them to comfortably lie in if they choose to, or they might wrap themselves around the cooler ceramic.

Being nearer the floor (safely!) with good ventilation will be slightly cooler, and if you have a cellar that will be even cooler. You yourself may want to sleep on a pad on the floor! You may also benefit from creating a crossbreeze- opening windows on opposite ends of the house to pull the air through and keep it moving.

Iā€™m from Southern California, so I have the deepest sympathy for people in unaccustomed climates, particularly my other ancestral homeland, when it gets unbearably hot and you just havenā€™t got the architecture or infrastructure to handle it well. Keep an eye on each other and watch out for signs of Heat Exhaustion/Heat Stroke, and stay safe!

3 Likes

My mommas house has poor insulation as it was built long ago, the roof is straight wood planks not insulated with dry wall covering it, so when i stay in my room there for vacation, it is very hot in the room ( i dislike being hot) i always say id rather be cold than hot, when you are cold you can always put on a sweater or something but when its hot you can only take off so much before you ate arrested :joy: and then you still hot.

3 Likes

Thanks every one, I have taken the advice.

Yea agreed, I need more than evaporation.

We usually never have AC in the UK, Just heating for our cold climate, but I just got a portable AC unit for my office, its working well. A unit for only Ā£250 0r $300 is doing the job there.
I think I will get another for my snake room.
The main thing I find is venting the heat pipe properly for maximum cooling efficiency.
The heat pipe is just hanging out of the window for now which is not perfect as the heat can come back in the window and that also messes up the insulation,
I plan to make a sealed hole in the wall for the heat extract pipe to vent the heat properly.

3 Likes

In a pinchā€¦you can get a foam coolerā€¦cut a hole @ the top in both sidesā€¦put a tube on one sideā€¦small fan on the other. Fill with ice. It will cool a room till the ice melts.

3 Likes

Youā€™ll need to get some sort of AC unit asap at least for where you keep your eggs. Assuming these are ball python eggs, even having the room temp at 33-34Ā°C is a dangerous spike and is asking for trouble and deformities, nevermind 40Ā°+

3 Likes

Yeah the trick with having the window up to let the heat vent out is to fill the rest of said window with cardboard or something so the window isnā€™t presenting that wide open gap. Worst part about little single room ACs, I feel personally. They are NOT pretty. or very quiet! But hey, cool air. Iā€™ll do anything for cool air.

3 Likes

Agreed :grimacing: thanks for the advice and yes ball python eggs.
Even if those freek UK temperatures donā€™t come next week, I have to be prepared for it in the changing world.

Thanks I took your advice. I wrapped cardboard in thick white plastic sheeting and filled all the gaps the AC vent pipe created in the window. Its now taking less than half the time to cool my office.
But i only got the AC for my office, (money is restricted) I will move my eggs into that room if the snake room gets too hot and just use ambient temperature managed with that AC to keep them at safe temperatures.
Eventfully I will drill a vent into the wall so its even more efficient, and when i can afford it, get portable AC and the same hole in the wall to vent for my snake room.
Sorry my office came first. If I cant work and earn because sweat is dripping into my glasses and im passing out, I cant earn and pay to protect my family let alone snake eggs.

3 Likes

If you have Zelle or PayPal i could help you a bit not the whole cost because im a bit low because the cost of food has gone up but it can send you something to help

4 Likes

Thatā€™s far too kind. I can manage with the above plan but your generosity has touched my heart. :sparkling_heart: you are a good person, I should be like you.

3 Likes

Being poor all my life taught me to be generous and pass blessings onto people who need it. I have been blessed so much in my life. I donā€™t wish to sound religious and be offensive but im only doing what Jesus showed me to be.

5 Likes

Yes I had a hard poor life but it got better in time, so I know what you mean.
Its not offensive, religious or not, thank you for the compassion. :slight_smile:
if we were all like your attitude the world would be a better place, I should be more like your attitude too.
I learned that compaction was the way but forgot, and thanks for reminding me of my blessingsā€¦ respect and thanksā€¦

3 Likes

The world needs more compassion and kindness now more than ever. We are all struggling in different ways through this thing we call life, why not be kind, its a gift we all can afford to give.

4 Likes

Your right. any person who wants to be kind - I will try to help if i can.

3 Likes

Iā€™m so glad thatā€™s helping!
Itā€™s often best do do just one room in which you will work, then roll out a pad and sleep in, and move any pets in there too, or your eggs and snakes in your case. Cost can be prohibitive, especially these days, but if you can establish one cool retreat in the house to go to when it gets hot, it can do a lot for your health and morale.

My one other trick is donā€™t use your oven. Eat cold food, or if you need to cook something do it quick on the cooktop. Ovens can often heat the house up considerably.
Oh- and be sure your computer cases are well cleaned out of dust and fluff so they donā€™t create as much heat in your nice cool room.

2 Likes

Thats so true, ny bedroom/office is over the kitchen and the temptiture shoots up when the oven is used. even My AC new struggled today with my traditional UK sunday roast lunch ( do you have that in the US)?

2 Likes

Americans, broadly, do not have Sunday Roast, but when I was a kid, at my grandmotherā€™s house we always did- with the nice china and the lace tablecloth- which Iā€™ve always suspected is because that side of my family is very-recent-generation British immigrants. To this day we often have family dinner at my Motherā€™s house on Sunday, with grandmaā€™s good china plates.

Ovens can heat the house too much, but if you do a pot roast in a slow cooker/ instant pot/crock pot, you can still have hot dinners much more easily.

2 Likes

@athleticshoelace Thanks for the cultural exchange and oven advice :slight_smile: Interesting.
I think I will just order a delivery of a roast chicken on sundays and avoid cooking all together during this UK heat wave.
If I was rich I would get exterior wooden shutters on all my windows and proper AC for times like this like countries that usually have hot climates do.
But our houses and double glassing are designed to increase the heat for a cold climate.

3 Likes