40c 104f plus ++ predicted for the uk next week unprecedented temperatures. what do I do?

40c 104f plus or more predicted for the UK next week, unprecedented never heard of before temperatures. what do I do?

38c or 101 hottest ever one off ever recorded in history and usually summers way way cooler at 30c 86f for a few days as a heat wave if we even do have a hot period.

What can i do for my snakes and eggs?

Such bad timing I have 3 clutches of eggs and more on the way any day,

Also our houses are designed to hold and increase heat for a cold climate. double glazing and well insulated with no shutters or shade :cry:

Such bad timing with 3 clutches and more on the way any day.

2 Likes

What about a portable ac or an evaporation cooler? I know i dont like running my AC with all my desert scorpions needing high heat but i sometimes have to cool off for a bit because my front room where i keep my animals is typically in the 80s. I get hot flashes so sometimes i need the quick cool off. You could run an AC for short bits, im sure since you have insulation it should probably retain the cool air.

2 Likes

Wait what?!
Oh heck no!
Touch wood will just rain again :joy:

3 Likes

We don’t do AC in the UK because its a relatively cool climate, we do and need heating not cooling. Our houses are built for heating not cooling,
Where are you?
Anyway---- I have just bought a AC unit for my office so I can work and earn money without my computers brakinging due to over heating. Its only one room, Maybe I will have to move my eggs into the office. I cant adapt my whole house to extreme temperatures as a one off freak temperature so fast.
Its never been a problem in the past. I even could just pump outside cold air into my snake room for colubrid hibernation temperatures to show the different previously.

1 Like

I live in Los Angeles so on occasion it does get really hot typically starting about now until approximately November. When i lived in Arizona typically the heat was over 100 every day and often was 120 sp very hot. Also just a note on heat, it rises so perhaps moving the enclosures/incubators closer to the ground will help keep them a bit cooler. I dont know if you have ceiling fans but you likely don’t as you say your homes are built for heat. But reverse the fan if you have it to suck the hot air upwards.

1 Like

@rmleone . Thanks for the info I am not used to that climate, Snake a resilient, but are those hot temps OK for eggs?
Also our houses are designed to build up heat as its a cold climate relatively. in november temps in the UK temps could below freezing.
Like I said, in november I would have a fan drawing in outside temperatures into the snake room to achieve hibernation temperatures for north American snakes.

1 Like

As long as you have a thermostat on them they should be fine :blush:

1 Like

@ghoulishcresties a thermostat can not cool ???
I have thermostats but when the outside temperature is way high then what?

I think with the world heating up in general you may start seeing more warmer days than that region is accustomed to.

I would definitely be more vigilant of temperature during this heat wave, eventually it will pass but you want to ensure your eggs stay at the optimum range if warmth and humidity for the species.

2 Likes

It may take some adjustments to get right i know i had a difficult time getting my heat humidity ratio to be in optimum range. I live 3 miles from the beach so the part of LA i live does get humid, for me humidity is the killer so i had a struggle getting my heat to be high and the humidity low. Maybe even a fan could move enough air to cool the area where you are incubating.

1 Like

Its my first ball python breeding so I am a bit overly concerned about these un optimal egg temperatures.
Not worried so much about the snakes, they are survivors, but the eggs??

At least with higher temps the humidity will be good due to higher evaporation of the water boals.

Edit: sorry, you higher temperature climates people will see my problem as a small problem.

1 Like

I hadn’t finished typing before sending then got distracted by Stranger Things. Sorry!

After speaking to breeders, they said they new other breeders who were opening tubs and then putting fans pointing to the eggs also.

2 Likes

The eggs need to be in the 90° range i dont know what the Celsius is. ( dumb American :joy: here) your heater with the thermostat at least wont have it exceed the preset. Id probably try a small AC or evaporative cooler.

1 Like

@ghoulishcresties yes a fan on open egg boxes will cool due to evaporating, I will consider.

1 Like

@rmleone but we are looking at much more than that 104f plus :cry:
edit: We still love imperial here too in the uk :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which means your heater in the incubator wont turn on, so running a fan etc. Will help cool it down, and if it dips the heater will keep it at 90

1 Like

@rmleone OK, thanks. so lids off and fans? makes sense, cooling through evaporation, but i will have to keep water levels consistent in the tubs,
sorry not used to these issues in my cold country.

1 Like

Like i said it may take a bit more vigilance than say a week ago to keep the optimum range. Im confident that with the added fan the movement of air will add sufficient cooling. Fans can typically reduce temperatures 10° so with the 100° temp it should be enough to lower it to optimum range.

1 Like

I dont know if you have Amazon in the UK but here is an affordable evaporative cooler it would make things cooler but the downside might me more humidity.

Ontel Arctic Air Pure Chill 2.0, Evaporative Air-Cooler, Powerful, Quiet, Lightweight Oscillating Portable Air Cooler, Hydro-Chill Technology For Bedroom, Office, Living Room & More Amazon.com

2 Likes

@rmleone thanks man or mam. as you say vigilance and continual monitoring and adjustment is the key in this or any other situation

1 Like