Adding Genetic Hypo and Blizzard [Pending]

Gene Request Form

Im looking to add the Genetic Hypo and the Blizzard aka Super Genetic Hypo to the Morphmarket Trait database

The first genetic hypo was reproduced in 2020. and the super (the black eyed luecistic) was successfully reproduced 2 times in 2023.

Crested Gecko
Genetic Hypo and Blizzard aka Super Genetic Hypo
Brian Burnett
Genetic Hypo 2020, Blizzard 2023
Genetic Hypo is a Inc-Dom with the super being the Blizzard - BEL (Super genetic Hypo)
We have successfully reproduced it in lily white, Dalmatian, pinstripe, empty back, axanthic (hets right now) and soft scale. with more breeding in 2024 adding charcoal, altitude exotics hypo, cappuccino and various other morphs on the market
Blizzard aka Super Genetic hypo aka BEL - Black Eyed Leucistic
The genetic Hypo is a reduced black animal. It gives off a translucent look as a baby and has high vibrancy colors as it ages. They also typically have a V pattern on the head. After about a year of age the high contrast of the animal fades to a nice grey animal.

Proven Lines: YES
Related Genes: NO
Edited 2/8/24 Related Genes: GhostPax, Pinky (Other known lines that create a BEL, base genetics have not been proven and I would like to list these different from the Genetic Hypo until further data is collected. Or Genetic Testing is done.

Proven: To what degree it is proven out to not just be polygenic? I have a lot of genetic hypo in my collection and a few supers. genetics are 100% proven.
Unique: Why do you believe this is a new morph and not an existing one? There are no other Bels on the market.
Edited 2/8/24. On April 15th 2023 I produced the first Blizzard. I had already proven the genetic hypo as a base gene. At that point I claimed the morph and named it. I generated a post on Facebook, and released what I knew. At this time there was no sources to have produced a BEL. Later other sources have shown other cresteds creating a Black Eyed Leucistic. Naming them Pinky and GhostPax. Pinky released their line to the public in late 2023. GhostPax has zero data outside of the original post they made also in late 2023.

Problems: Any problems? none that im aware of. I have watched these guys for years and never had any issues.
History: The history behind its discovery? N/A
Disagreement or Controversy: N/A
References here on the community: Bob Vu, Jordan Dishon, Zachary Steele, Derrick Burnett, Adam Gee

2 Likes

I have no idea how to add pictures in this section.

1 Like

Just make sure it finishes uploading before you post

3 Likes

Isnā€™t this the same as Pinky/Ghostpax? All three lines look more or less identical, both the hets and the supers from what ive seen, very subtle differencesā€¦ And isnā€™t it inc dom since it has a super form? :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you, I have added pictures now!

The supers are scaleless as well right?

1 Like

Yes, it possesses a super form, making it technically incomplete dominant, although this classification isnā€™t widely acknowledged. In other species, the base gene would typically be co-dominant with a super form. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve identified it as such above.

There are now four confirmed sources producing the BEL. I presented mine in April 2023, and others have since come forward with their lines. The only individual who has clearly demonstrated a lineage, showcasing both adult and baby pictures, and has also shared information on identifying this gene and differentiating it from normals, is me. Iā€™m the only one providing customers with a comprehensive view of my work. Others have named their own lines and supers, a choice I support due to allelic variations. Frequently, across other species, different gene combinations can yield the same result. Genetic testing would be necessary to confirm if we are all working with the same gene. Itā€™s possible, but the geographical distance between these sources suggests different lines. Publicly, I also prefer not to associate my work with others. When you acquire a Genetic Hypo or Blizzard from me, youā€™re obtaining an animal from my collection. There are also a people who acquired GH from me. Id like people to know offspring were from my lines.

1 Like

No, When I produced the first Blizzard, I did think it was scaleless. The skin on the Genetic Hypo and Blizzards are different. Not really something I can explain. You can see as Bella has grown that she has scales. There is a sections that its so small, but it is there.

1 Like

So almost like a super softscale on steroids? Or is it like a particle scalelessness?

Anyway, it is great to see you over here! Canā€™t wait to see all the other things you do with this morph.

1 Like

Silly, you uploaded a picture of a gummy bear, not a crestie!

3 Likes

Ahh ok, all the other genes such as LW and capp are marked correctly as Inc-Dom on MM though, so I donā€™t think they go by what the hobby uses, but what the gene actually is - from what Iā€™ve seen weā€™re trying to move away from the incorrect labeling :grin: I figured it might be worth adding the other proven lines under ā€œdisagreementsā€ or something, but I just noticed the ā€œproven linesā€ point, totally skipped over that the first time I read it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Along with that, I have heard some people who dislike them due to potential breeding issues do to their lack of normal scale protection.

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty much just slander at the moment though, considering only a handful of people are (knowingly) working with them and the supers havenā€™t really been bred yet, I donā€™t think thereā€™s enough info to suggest anything like thatā€¦ But I do know that people love to bad-mouth new genes ā€“ same thing happened with super cappuccino, and though there did end up being some issues in the end, they were nothing like what people were saying :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh for sure. I just have heard some people express concern over it so thought I would mention it

1 Like

I mean itā€™s important to be cautious, but at the same time when thereā€™s no data behind it whatsoever I donā€™t think itā€™s worth spreading :sweat_smile: People were spreading all kinds of rumours about capps, how they werenā€™t able to hatch on their own, they were infertile, or even made in a lab, with nothing to back it up. All of which were of course untrue - so unless thereā€™s actual data, I donā€™t think itā€™s worth mentioning personally :blush:

1 Like

This is so funny to me, can I get a job somehow engineering brand new reptile morphs to sneak into the market for no reason other than chaos?

2 Likes

Honestly Iā€™d be kind of impressed :joy:

2 Likes

Color/pattern mutations are never ā€˜co-dominantā€™ they are either recessive or incomplete dominant. Someone very early on in ball pythons not understanding what they were talking used the term codom and itā€™s unfortunately stuck around much longer than it should have.

4 Likes

Again, Ive expressed the correct terminology is Incomplete Dom. However morphmarket would like to label it is on them. I labeled it due to my understanding of genetics and how we classify them. At the end of the day if you understand there is a super form, it doesnā€™t really matter what theyā€™re called.

As far as health issues. I have 2 supers at this point and a ton of Genetic Hypo. I have had zero health issues out of my lines. There are already recording cases of a BEL breeding through other peoples lines. So I would assume because of that, that my line will do the same. My female Bella is sitting at 9 months old and growing like a weed. I dont see any health issues that would lead me to think she would not be able to reproduce. My Male Blizzard is still young but he will be put to the test as well.

As far as the scales. Softscale on steroids isnt really the best terminology for what Im working with. Ive produced both Softscale and Super Soft. There is just something different about these guys. You canā€™t really capture the color in pictures of the visual differences of the skin.

1 Like

This I know boss. However the point of it, It did stick and because of that is the reason I know the gene as Codom instead of Inc. Again, If you understand how the gene works, it doesnā€™t really matter what itā€™s called.

1 Like