900 gram sand boa

Google Says that female Kenyan sand boa get to 900 grams but I can’t find a photo of one that’s bigger than 500 grams

Don’t trust everything you see, from what I’ve found from reliable sources they usually reach 400+g. 900g could have just been one that was larger and overfed to seem heavier, like what some people do with giant leopard geckos to make them look larger on paper.

4 Likes

I know @westridge has shown off a gorgeous female sand boa on here that’s 600+ grams.

3 Likes

This is the 600g female. She is 8 years old.

Here she is with a grown man’s hands for size reference.

However, older female Kenyan Sand Boas can definitely be 900g or more. My business partner has some females that are actually 1000-1200g. They are over 20 years old (sand boas can live 30 years or more).

10 Likes

Thanks so much

There is a huge difference in ‘average’ size and ‘maximum’ size. Maximum size should never be something you push for, it happens or it doesn’t. Think you vs Shaq :joy:

4 Likes

The 600g female in the photo, as well as another 5 year old, 500g+ female I have, and the jumbo females I mentioned my partner has, were all fed a normal diet throughout their lives, not pushed in any way. To clarify, however, we also have a couple of females around the same age that are much smaller.

4 Likes

I have ball pythons that are the same way. The big ones get there if they’re going to get there.

2 Likes

That is a beautiful sand boa!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I absolutely love the size on that girl. Hoping that at least a few of mine sprout up like that. I’ve got a few that grow faster than the others despite the same feeding. Ideally I’d like to do some size-selective breeding to make some real whoppers.

2 Likes

I have a female 2015 normal Kenyan sand boa who is pushing 800 grams. Last time I measured her she was 32”. Diet consists of a 35-40 gram chick or 50-60 gram rat once every 4 weeks. Found that to be the sweet spot for continuous growth.

2 Likes

I should try to get a weight on my big girl one of these days. She’s around 11-12 years old and probably 33-34" long, so she’s a big girl by sand boa standards, but I’ve never weighed her.

1 Like

I am going to bet $20 that she is exactly 814 grams.

2 Likes

And @jawramik 807 grams……. Lol! :joy:

1 Like

I don’t actually have a scale at the moment, so you guys might have to wait a bit before you can collect on those bets. :joy:

(Though I probably should order a scale, it’d be a good thing to have.)

1 Like