A chance to educate or irresponsible? Thoughts?

Was interested in your opinions?

https://apsari.com/dad-lets-toddler-play-with-snakes-and-explains-the-reason-why

While I think introducing kids to animals and responsible husbandry at a young age is important, this is pushing the limits of what I think is responsible. A snake that size could easily hurt or kill a 14 month old, even with adult supervision. They’re so strong that in the event of an incident, it would likely take more than one adult to get the snake off of her. While he claims to know and trust the temperament of his snake, at the end of the day snakes aren’t domesticated enough that I would fully trust a snake of that size vs a small human of that size. If you want to introduce children to snakes, I think a tame adult ball python is a much safer place to start

14 Likes

I will take it a step further than @chesterhf

This is irresponsible, period. End of discussion.

12 Likes

I don’t want to bash someone who isn’t here to defended themselves, however all I will say is that I would not put my own children in that dangerous situation.

Burmese pythons are a lot stronger than your average man.

9 Likes

I say it is extremely irresponsible. Not only could the snake hurt the kid, but the kid could also hurt the snake. If the kid were to hurt the snake (babies like to get excited and slap things sometimes) then I doubt even a snake with a calm and “predictable” temperament could be trusted not to bite. I have a niece that I am excited to introduce to my snakes, but I will not do so until she is 5 years old at least. Any earlier and kids don’t have the best self control or listening skills needed to stay calm long enough to not possibly startle/hurt a snake.

9 Likes

Not only irresponsible,but not fair to the reptile or the reptile community. If the snake were to injure or kill the child it would be all over the national news giving people another reason to hate those of us who keep big snakes and attempt to have snakes outlawed.

15 Likes

I honestly don’t even know how to respond to that idea.
From someone who has been around a lot of giant pythons and constrictors, this is 100% irresponsible for the family involved and the reptile community.
I’m 6ft and in very good shape. And many times at the end of a handling secession with a giant snake I’m left out of breath and sweating. That situation in my opinion is not acceptable at any reasonable time with a child that young.
Videos like this is why the hobby gets a bad vibe from outsiders.

9 Likes

In my opinion. A 14 month old shouldn’t be allowed that close to a snake that size. In the early years teaching care and husbandry are key. Along with species identification but I’m a firm believer of no handling reptiles until a child is old enough to remain calm and respectable of the animal.

7 Likes

Like what @eaglereptiles pointed out, a Burmese is extremely strong and stronger than many people including myself. If I being 6’4 and fit still struggled with large snakes than why put a infant in that situation? I too do not want to bash or hate but what is the actual point of doing this? Just for what some would think is a cute or cool picture? So many things could go wrong with doing this.

3 Likes

I think we all agree. My kids grew up with snakes and lizards of every size and I did lectures in class rooms with my own animals and for a pet store chain (super pets in SC) . When any child interacted with any reptile I was always holding and maintaining positive control of the animal and alert and able to stop any inappropriate action from the child. Protecting both is key. The primary reason I used to do those lectures was to promote the hobby and show it it the best possible light. Any incident that harmed either the child or the animal would have exactly the opposite effect. We also live in a very different world today where people are litigious and looking for reasons to persecute anything they do not agree with. I have no patience for people who have their herps out in crowds of people either. They have to know that they are going to run into at least a few who will react negatively or fearfully even if nothing happens and if someone gets bit… you can imagine. And putting your herp in that situation, even if it is “friendly” is just irresponsible and wrong. I have pulled owners aside and chased them out of public places for doing this and back in the day I even confiscated a snake or two (doing that today is a lawsuit waiting to happen) Unlike the more polite people here, I am not afraid to bash someone who is being stupid, I would expect the same if it was me acting like that.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with you on that. Babies and small children in general are extremely curious and do not yet know how to control their grip strength so while it may not hurt the snake if the baby grips it it still could startle the snake enough to jerk away or bite as a reaction.

2 Likes

even older people who do not know about or are maybe even a little afraid of them can move to quickly or react badly to the animal moving to quickly. any situation where the experienced person in the crowd does not have positive control of the situation is just nit good. you may get lucky and nothing goes wrong, but when it does it is that experienced person (or the owner who should be experienced) that is responsible/

3 Likes

once when I was much younger I had a monkey tailed skink sitting on my head. I had been doing a demonstration and the kids thought it was great so I left him up there. a secretary walked into the room and right next to me. she did not see the skink until she was really close to it and then she started screaming. the skink dug those really long, sharp claws under my scalp (all four feet). I started bleeding, the woman screamed louder and some of the kids got really scared. It was a “friendly” animal that I had used in dozens of demos. Very bad and completely my own fault! I learned that lesson very well and the hard way. I should have been smarter and I believe I would have welcomed someone telling me I was an idiot before I learned it the way I did.

4 Likes

The baby is way way way to young for that. Its reckless, irresponsible and dangerous.

1 Like

In my sons class at school, they do bring your pet to school. So my son put a huge presentation about ball pythons together and I brought one of the snakes in. This even had the principle watching it. She was absolutely impressed and his presentation made her a little less afraid. I was with my son 100% of the time. He held the snake for his demo, other then that I did. It was really neat. The mext one after that he brought his hamster in. Next year my daughter will have the same class, I think she ia bringing her horse.

3 Likes

This is just sad. :cry:

1 Like

All I will say is this you will never see me doing something like this.

2 Likes

See, this is how it should be done. A well thought -out presentation responsibly presented that lets people see that the snake is not the monster of their nightmares. I would not be surprised if that demo actually led to other kids getting into the hobby (hopefully with parental support and supervision) It is too bad that this kind of presentation does not get into the news or go “viral” like the other mess. Good job Nikki

3 Likes

BTW slithermetimbers is a GREAT name. half of my life is pirate themed and when I saw this I thought “how is it I never thought of that”. very cool!

5 Likes

I see a dad that was trying to show people that snakes are not bad and vicious. What he was trying to show was great only the way he did this was terrible and absolutely irresponsible. If he would have done this with, like a semi adult ball python that had no chance of really hurting the child he would have still got his message across without putting his child in danger. My heart crinched when I saw the snake crawling on the babies head. That snake could have snapped that babies neck in a heartbeat without absolutely no bad intentions. Makes me think of a Brian Kusko video on Youtube about his youngest child getting bit totally unexpected. A totally docile snake. Found out later that the child played with some chicken some hours before. This ended well because the snake let loose immediatly but he did regret it seriously and it was a serious wake up call.

End of conclusion, I just pray he doesn’t do this ever again.

2 Likes