A date with Dr Travis Wyman

Strangely, my science does not get tapped that much at dinner parties LOL

3 Likes

Lol really, mostly snake talk? :rofl:

2 Likes

I tell all my dinner guests my adventures as a semi professional snake breeder lol but Iā€™m not nearly as interesting as Travis :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

That comes up even less LOL

Travis is totally boring at dinner parties. He is an introvert and tries to blend in with the walls or furniture to avoid drawing attention to himself

:upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Wait, that sounds like me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes
1 Like

I was on THP episode #155, but that one is not up on YT so you will need to pull it down using your favourite podcatcher

1 Like

I just listened to this one and was wondering if @t_h_wyman could post a more comprehensive list of regular people friendly books about biology/genetics? Maybe @chesterhf would have a suggestion or two as well?
(Perhaps start a new thread for it?)

MPR Network Strictly Shorties ep4

3 Likes

The first one that comes to mind for me is " The Violinistā€™s Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code" by Sam Kean. He does a great job of writting science for people arenā€™t in the field. His book the ā€œThe Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeonsā€ is a great read for neuroscience enthusiests (kind of along the same lines as ā€œThe Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hatā€ but more neuroscience and less psychiatry)

Also a huge fan of ā€œLanguage of Godā€ by Francis Collins, but thereā€™s also a fair amount of religion mixed in with the genetics, so it may not be everyoneā€™s cup of tea.

Iā€™ll try to remember what else is on my bookshelf that Iā€™d recommend

4 Likes

Conceptual Breakthroughs in Evolutionary Genetics - John Avise

Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Sean B Caroll
Making of the Fittest - Caroll

Your Inner Fish - Neil Shubin

Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life - Nick Lane

The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins (I like a lot of Dawkins books but, like Collinsā€™ book mentioned by Hilary, he can get pretty heavy handed with the religion/secularism talk so if that offends you then you likely will not appreciate them)
I will check over my bookshelf this weekend and see if anything else there jumps out at me

6 Likes

Thanks guys!!!
Iā€™m starting with these two, if anyone else wanā€™t to join in reading them maybe we can start a book club discussion.

3 Likes

I might take a look at this oneā€¦

4 Likes

Another to add to the list:

The Gene: An Intimate History - Siddhartha Mukherjee

3 Likes

Updating again

3 Likes

That would be this one for those wondering:

4 Likes

You missed the second one I did with Ben Morrill

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I literally donā€™t know how you find time to be so involved. I would love to do a podcast, but I think wouldnā€™t want to listen to it. You know?

3 Likes

HA!

I feel so phenomenally underinvolved that it is funny to hear this :man_facepalming:t4:

Oh, I rarely go back and listen to the ones I have been onā€¦ I hate the sound of my own voice

2 Likes
3 Likes