A hello from Michigan! Graveyard Snakes

Hey all! It’s James from Graveyard Snakes, based out of Lansing, MI. I am a future ball python breeder and a dedicated hobbyist to reptiles! It all started with a lovely rescue Spider female, who helped me get over the fear I had of our wonderful scaled friends. She taught me being scared is okay, but we can work through the fears at our own pace. That girl gave me patience, humility, and a lot of knowledge in reptiles I am thankful to carry with me to this day. Despite only being a volunteer at a rescue and never owning a snake before, I felt a calling to her. It’s thanks to her that I am able to carry myself with such confidence and educate people on the wonderful creatures we live with.

My reptile collection started at 15 with a rescue leopard gecko, named Sunni. He has been an awesome little dude and taught me so much about myself and the animals in my collection. Despite being a rescue, he is perfectly healthy and thrives every day, always bringing a smile to my face. He is suspected to be a blood tangerine, but I do not have any experience ID’ing leos nor any information on his origins from his past home. No matter what, he has a forever home with me for the rest of his life where he is spoiled and loved every single day.

I also have a crested gecko! My little dude Slave from Garnet Geckos is an awesome gecko, even when he’s flinging himself across the room, LOL. He is a flame dalmation and I am humbled to be able to be his caretaker. Cresties have been a dream gecko, so to own one as a pet has been a very enjoyable experience every single day. He’s also my garbage disposal for bugs because Sunni is very picky, meanwhile Slave could care less, he’s even tried to eat my tongs.

Finally, my pride and joy of the reptile hobby: my ball pythons. I have 5 right now, and I wouldn’t trade any of them for the world. I may be a small scale hobbyist operation, but despite my limitations I aim to provide the best for my snakes and the market. I hope to break taboos about keeping in racks, promote healthy genetics and structure, and educate keepers on not only the species but their individual snake. My main project is currently Mojave Ghost combos, and once I move in 2022 I am headed head first into the Black Axanthic gene to explore it and push combos to the limits. My partner loves clown, so we hope to one day produce OD YB Fire Clowns with a fun side project!

Thank you for taking the time to read my intro, and maybe even come check out my instagram page (@graveyard.snakes) where I try to post regularly about all the fun stuff I’m working on. Once I have updated photos of my animals I will be posting them here!

15 Likes

Welcome to the family James. There’s some great great people on here. The depth of knowledge and just genuine love of reptiles and other animals amazes me on a daily basis.

Oh, and we love pictures here too!

Leo and cresties and ball pythons? You will fit right in here. Again, welcome home.

8 Likes

Hi @graveyardsnakes!

Welcome to our community! I can tell you that you will be treated as family. I am personally happy that you have dived into the breeding area head first but with confidence. I to have done this and have my first growup boa ( 0.1 Anery Sterling ) that I will be breeding in the future. We will definitely be very encouraging of your projects and your direction! I am very pleased to welcome you to our forum. Have a wonderful day.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community!

I am a HUGE Crestie fan and I’m going to be breeding some of mine next season :crossed_fingers:

I love ball pythons too, I really like the axanthic gene but only have one 66% axanthic (vpi) as hubby is in charge of snake selection and I’m in charge of Cresties!

I don’t have Instagram but would love to see some pics on here if your willing to share?

5 Likes

Welcome! I just moved FROM Michigan five months back. You are so lucky to live near Rick and his AMAZING store. I’ve known him since the mid-80s, maybe longer. The first of two tiny stores out in Haslett!

Your frogs are awesome. We will NEED more pics, ha,ha! And you can’t go wrong w a corn, or three…

6 Likes

Welcome!!
Loving the name :wink:
Crestie addict here :wave:t2: Fav reptiles by far that I own! So much variation with them!
Royals also are amazing, can’t wait to breed them in the future!
Feel free to post images, as said we :heart: them!!

6 Likes

Welcome from a fellow Michigander! Always love seeing such passionate and dedicated folks entering the realm of reptiles. I also look at each of my animals as family. I look forward to watching you and your reptiles grow and hope to see you frequenting the forums! :blush:

7 Likes

Welcome to the community! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Incoming crestie pics! I apologize for the poor quality - my phone isn’t the best. Plus Slave did not want to sit still for photos. He is a flame dal for anyone interested!

5 Likes

Welcome to MM community!

7 Likes

Welcome to the community James! Sounds like you have a big heart to share with all your rescues and animals you have. Can’t wait to see what you do with upcoming pairings and breedings. I tried to find you on Instagram, but I couldn’t find you with the username you listed. I wanna make sure to give you a follow!

7 Likes

Thank you!! If I had the time, space, and money, I would totally do rescue/rehome full time. The magic in seeing an animal thrive or even feel just a little bit more comfortable before they pass has been a huge thing to me, I am a firm believer all life deserves value and respect, no matter what.

As for the Instagram issues, I’m not sure what’s up with that, put I sent a follow your way! You’ve got some really cool stuff. Hopefully I can stop by and see your collection in person next year when I head down to Texas! Might even have to pick something up because all of your snakes are straight :fire:

6 Likes

I would love to run a rescue operation but I’m too emotional for that, plus time space money etc!

I haven’t rescued a reptile as such yet. I don’t think I could say no to a reptile if it needed my help (and I knew how to care for it). I wouldn’t pay for them though, as it only encourages for it to happen again to another reptile :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Haha thank you! Just come on down :grin:

7 Likes

Welcome to the family ! We are also in Michigan, Burton mi. Feel free to check us out on Instagram Facebook and here on MM.

4 Likes

Hi James this is also James I’m in my third year if breeding bps but I’m located in albion and I have a decent collection so would love to sit down so we could pick each others brains I plan on my company name being fowlers Exotics but only the future can tell

6 Likes

Hey there! Would love to meet up. Once end of season farm stuff settles down hopefully we can get together! Any big projects you have? I am always excited to meet local guys and support them 100% of the way.

5 Likes

Welcome aboard. We’re located in Grand Rapids, Mi and travel through Lansing every other weekend. Any questions ever, let me know.

Dave Hensler
JDH Reptiles

4 Likes

Huge welcome. As a fellow breeder said, you’ll fit right in. I’m also new to the community, and it’s been an amazing journey. I’ll love to see some photos of your animals.

6 Likes

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes! Between work and being sick with a nasty case of the flu I haven’t been able to find the energy to sit down and get photos of everyone, but I would like to share some new purchases!

First is this awesome pastel het ghost female from MT Geckos and Ball Pythons, sitting at 650g. I am super excited to add her to the racks after the holidays and put weight on her!

Next is this stunner Sugar Het Daddy female from Just One More Dragon. Last weighed in at a whopping 65g she should be fun to watch grow. I’ve been working on adding modifier genes like sugar in the lineup and when this little one popped up I just couldn’t say no, plus possible Platty Datty BELs? Heck yeah!!

I have a few more surprises up my sleeve I’ll be publically announcing on my Instagram, so now the hunt for some females to pair for next season has kicked into high gear.

3 Likes