A question about feeding I really need help

I was wondering on how often i should feed my rosy boas.

The female is young maybe 1 year the male is full adult.

My male i fed on Wednesday but i only fed him a medium F/T mouse because i did not want his 1st meal in a while to be too big and him being new to his tub. He is still acting like he may be hungry but i don’t want to over feed. He normally would eat an adult mouse.

My female she just fed today on a F/T mouse and i understand that they eat more frequently than adults.

Can yall lovely people give me advice on feeding schedules so that i can put that in my planner? Thanks again for all the help and support.

1 Like

I don’t know about rosy boas specifically, so I trust someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but based on my research and experience with my sand boa (which is a similar-sized species that’s also in the boa family), I would think that the younger female should probably eat one appropriately-sized rodent every 7-10 days, and the adult male should eat one appropriately-sized rodent every 10-14 days. For reference, I feed my adult female sand boa one large mouse every 14 days, and she’s maintained good body condition on more or less that schedule for the year I’ve had her. She technically could handle larger prey, but since her body condition has been good with the size and frequency of feeding we’ve been doing, I haven’t seen any need to feed her anything larger.

Keep in mind that just because a snake will eat more often doesn’t necessarily mean they should eat more often. It can be tempting to feed more often, especially with a snake that loves to eat, but try to resist the temptation to feed them too often. You don’t want them to become overweight or obese.

4 Likes

I have a rosy that is permanently small. As in she has never grown past 55 grams and I have had her for a few years and I only feed her every 14 days now. Her weight is always fine and she is nice and muscular. Once the animal is out of the baby phase, like your female, feed once every 14 days. They digest slow, and hold onto weight easy, so they can tend to get fat. The male is big enough that once every 3 weeks to once a month with a large/jumbo mouse will be fine. I would personally go once a month.

3 Likes

The difference in rosy and sand boas is the rate at which they digest. Rosy boas do best at 85-86°F as a hot spot, so they digest and go through their fuel slower. Whereas a hotter kept species like a sand boa digests faster. Sand boas also stay smaller in most cases. Their male rosy is over 400 grams if I recall. A big chonk of a male.

3 Likes

Yeah my male is a chonk at over 400 grams.

When i find my baby brat that escaped today imma ask her why can’t she be a good snake lile my chonk :joy:

3 Likes

She is in her rebellious teen phase.

3 Likes

She is quite sassy i changed her tub for clean stuff and i guess she was like i hate you mom :woman_shrugging:
:joy:

2 Likes

That makes sense. Rosies are native to my area, which is definitely a cooler climate than my KSB’s native range.

1 Like