Absolutely devastated today

Thank you.

As far as I know, this is not a common hognose issue. Renal adenocarcinoma is a common cancer in reptiles, but my boy and @trnreptiles girl had different symptoms and likely different ailments. I still have other hoggies and they’re fine.

4 Likes

I made a trip to Snake Discovery to pick up some things and look at babies to get my mind off of Dratini. I walk in to find…ALL of the hognoses! There aren’t often hogs available, so I was like, hmmm…is the universe trying to tell me something? Mentioned the story of what happened w/Tini to the staff and they told me they had a little one in the back that would be up for adoption, he was a picky eater and prefers his pinkies scented with quail egg yolk.

…So that’s how I came home with Everything Bagel.

15 Likes

Awesome!

Sounds like its destiny!

8 Likes

It seemed to be.

He’s all set up in his bin with hides, water, foliage, and is cruising around familiarizing himself. He’s also pretty much the exact same age as Togepi, my female 2022 hatchling, so I’m already stocked up on pinkies enough for both of them. I don’t really want to re-name him, but he might get a Pokémon nickname to go with my other two hoggies.

8 Likes

Good thing about it is, he doesnt know his name yet I bet.

5 Likes

Definitely different issues, I am fairly sure what happened to Mirage was heart-related rather than kidney-related

4 Likes

Im sorry for your loss… sucks

3 Likes

Oh, Jess, I am so very sorry. You have had such a challenging year. I know that you know all the words. We really do want to hold you and Dratini in our hearts and hope that your hurt will soon ease. Grief is the price we pay for love, and the privilege of sharing our lives with and caring for animals demands that price be paid with unfortunate frequency. I am so sorry, my friend.

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. I’m actually doing much better today after taking time to process the situation more. I am at peace with the way things ended because he was very obviously in distress. I think deep down, when I felt that lump, I knew what it was. I don’t miss him any less, but I know that I did exactly what was best for him, and that has really eased the weight I feel with his passing.

It has been a wild year, but it taught me so much about this journey and what it means to me.

5 Likes

You have been through so much this year, I also know what you are going through. Lost my 15 year old San Luis Potosi king four years ago. She had retained slugs that were necrotic by the time I got her to the vet. Didn’t even know she was a female. When I dropped her off for surgery I just knew in my gut she wasnt coming back. I’m so sorry the hand you’ve been dealt this year. This new little one is lucky to have you.

5 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss as well, the surprise ones are the worst, especially something like that where you had no idea. :people_hugging:

3 Likes

I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better today. It’s hard on us in one way when situations drag out, hard in a different way when this happen suddenly.

This.
This perfectly and succinctly sums it up. So sorry that you’re getting a refresher course in this. Your words are very wise and may help someone else.

3 Likes

As I’ve said before, I do like to share the ups and downs in case it can be of help to anyone else. Sometimes the most that you can do is put the animal first, and in the end, any euthanasia is hard, but we do it out of love, care, and respect for our animals. That’s what I’m sure many of us fail to remember when we’re beating ourselves up over our care of an ill or passed animal. Sometimes the best we can do is give them a good death.

A little side update: I did decide to give Everything Bagel a Pokémon nickname to fit with the rest of my hogs, but he’ll keep his “official” name. Day to day he will be called Diglett. I stuck with a D name as a tribute to Dratini, and the fact that the universe seemed to guide me in the direction of this guy when my heart was hurting.

5 Likes

That’s a super cute name! Especially for a little hognose that loves digging.

3 Likes

I just lost 2 new corn snakes. Only had them a few weeks and not sure what happened. I called the vet and was supposed to do a necropsy. Waiting to hear back. So sad :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Awww, sorry for your losses. Man it seems like everyone is losing a baby this week. At least we can post here for support and know we aren’t alone. This is one reason i always tell all the important people in my life that i love them, tomorrow isn’t promised. My animals may not understand me or my words but i always talk to them, tell them i love them, say goodnight, good morning. I know my kitty and my snakes recognize my voice at least.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that. It does seem to be a rough week for many. Two is unusual. I hope you get answers from the necropsy.

2 Likes

My little boy is back home again. Call me crazy for cremating an animal that only weighed 66g, but I just couldn’t bring myself to take him home and do anything else with his remains. I adore that they do a memory print for him like any other pet, I wasn’t expecting it but to be able to feel an imprint of his scales brought me to tears.

12 Likes

There is nothing “crazy” about wanting to grieve for and memorialize your snake as you have. Everyone grieves and copes in their own way. To some it may just be a snake, but to others its a beloved family member.

That was super nice to get the impression because now you have something you can touch that was uniquely him, it will almost be touching him when you trace the impression with your finger.

3 Likes

I’m glad that you were able to do this. I hope it will help your heart and spirit as you move through your grieving.

Well said.

3 Likes