Accidental field herping

Walking my puppy around a lake and came across this 4’ healthy northern water snake! Very pretty! Rare for my area (usually a lot more east of my location) fun to see, couldn’t get hands on him down a steep embankment​:smiling_face_with_tear: Decent pics at least. And 1 of my puppy for being rambunctious, making me take him on a walk!:laughing:

14 Likes

Good find! Water snakes are super awesome!

1 Like

Gorgeous water snake! And your dog is lovely too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Amazing water snake! They’re in my top three for favorite North American snakes. They’re relatively common around my area, but it’s still amazing when I find one. The most recent one I found was while I was hiking up a stream, and it swam downstream before I could catch it :sob:

2 Likes

Awesome snake! This is 99.9% of my field herping haha, mowing the lawn, driving, working in a hangar. Reptiles are just everywhere haha

2 Likes

A tangential response. I’ve got rubber boas literally in my backyard. I don’t see them much, but the night you saw your water snake, I saw the most fantastic rubber boa! And… I was also with my dog!

Except… it was only in a vivid, psychedelic dream. :wink: It was a shimmery, white-aqua green translucent color & I held the puppy back as it slithered along in its magical way. Suffice it to say, I’ve got beautiful snakes on the brain…

2 Likes