Accidentally threw a wrench in my 2023 season šŸ˜¬

I just canā€™t believe it, I feel so bad for her because this was supposed to be dealt with. I mean, it could theoretically not be eggs, but it really, really feels like it.

2 Likes

So Ms. Celia will be going to the vet again in a couple of hours. I will update when I know more.

4 Likes

Tagging @solarserpents @caryl @lumpy because I know you guys would likely be interested in updates.

Soā€¦Sheā€™s gravid.

The vet took one feel of her, made the same face I made when I realized what I felt, and immediately suggested an x-ray. This is the same vet that did her initial spay, so she knows my girl and was just as stumped as I was. As far as she saw, everything was removed during the last surgery and no one had any reason to doubt that until now. X-ray shows 7-8 eggs, seemingly from retained ovarian tissue (& possibly retained sperm).

Sheā€™s an enigma at this point, but the vet doesnā€™t think sheā€™ll have the capability to lay these eggs due to last yearā€™s surgery. Which means sheā€™s got a second spay scheduled for next week. Iā€™m considering asking the vet to do the best to remove the eggs intact if they seem fertile, just because at this point who knows whatā€™d happen if I incubated them? It seems like anything is possible with this girl.

8 Likes

What a strange plot twist to this ever changing story! I wish her the best of luck with the additional surgery, this canā€™t be easy for your nerves

3 Likes

We are here for you Jess. I know you must be losing your mind at this point, I know we all would be. This is a horrible situation to deal with. Many prayers for you and for her.

3 Likes

I am going more than a little batty, but thankfully thereā€™s a fix for it, and she doesnā€™t seem distressed. Iā€™d be pleased as punch if she somehow manages to lay these without surgery, but even if not, sheā€™s in good hands next week. They got her through once, hopefully theyā€™ll get her through again.

5 Likes

Seems like this girl just has the worst luck :frowning:

3 Likes

Sheā€™s definitely had her hardships, but it doesnā€™t seem to really phase her. The staff at the vet clinic love her because sheā€™s got such personality, loves to be held, just an angel of a snake. Hopefully sheā€™s just as strong as ever and makes it through this to live out a happy, healthy life.

3 Likes

This is possibly the craziest snake tale Iā€™ve ever heard! I think I remarked last year that Celia might end up in veterinary journal. I guess she thought last year wasnā€™t dramatic enough. Sheā€™s definitely article-worthy now! She pulled through last year like a true champion. Hopefully sheā€™ll do that once again. (Once being an important word in that sentence, Miss Celia!)

3 Likes

I think I might email and ask for copies of her records, just because I kind of want them for myself? Iā€™d really love a copy of the x-ray, at least. This is what I get for openly saying/hoping my second year would be better than my first. :upside_down_face: :joy: As long as she makes it through, Iā€™ll be fine, but Iā€™d appreciate this being her last spayā€¦a phrase I NEVER thought Iā€™d utter.

4 Likes

Well, I made the request, so I can now present everyone with this crazy visual:

6 Likes

Thatā€™s truly crazy, Jess! I love the ā€œSpayed Femaleā€ note with all those eggs. Celia is really one in aā€¦quadrillion?

2 Likes

I donā€™t even have a clue on the stats, but sheā€™s definitely a rarity! I just wish it wasnā€™t in something that could put her life at risk, but alas. Thankfully since sheā€™s already on antibiotics, she doesnā€™t go in until next week. Iā€™d love for a miracle where she gets 'em out on her own.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s crazy. So with the initial spay (I know nothing about reptile neutering, so forgive my ignorance!), did they just remove the ovaries? Is that standard?

4 Likes

In a spay, they remove the ovaries and the oviducts. As far as anyone knew, both ovaries and oviducts were completely removed. However, it seems some ovarian tissue remained and regrew. She ovulated, and apparently produced the eggs seen on x-ray.

4 Likes

Nature is truly incredible

3 Likes

That it is, @lumpy, that it is!

Celia update is that she has shed & pooped. Poo looks healthy, urates are looking better. She gets her next ceftaz injection today, along with her soak. Might give her a small mouse to see if sheā€™s still eating. Everything else around here is pretty quiet. Eggs are incubating, everyone else is doing great.

4 Likes

Such a crazy tale! Dan commented that Celia and her eggs are proof of the line in ā€œJurassic Park.ā€ Life does indeed find a way. Glad everyone else is continuing to do well.

4 Likes

Yeah, that line has been firmly planted in my head the last couple of days. Who knows how far this will go.

3 Likes

I made a separate thread for Ms. Celiaā€™s updates, since this one has gotten quite long and now covers more than one topic:

3 Likes