Adopted ball python questions

Above is a photo of a male pastel leopard ball python I aqquired today (in his carrier not enclosure). The biggest concerns I have are he is 2 years old and appears slightly underweight and the conditions he was living in. Voodoo, the ball python, has been underfed every other week based off the size of rat that the previous owner had showed me. He is not a picky eater and is a garbage disposal eating f/t based off what the previous owner told me. What would be a gpod weight for a ball python of his age to shoot for? The second concern is that Voodoo had no humidity, a water dish that was literal slime from bacterial overgrowth, he was on dry dust eco earth and laying in his own feces, and the entire enclosure smelled so bad I almost threw up. I obviously have corrected all of this by deep cleaning the enclosure, replacing anything porous, and giving him reptichip thats soaked for his humidity needs. To get to the point what health issues do I need to look out for because of how dirty he was and the humidity levels? I appreciate the help, and can’t wait to see his full potential with the correct care.

11 Likes

He doesnt look bad at all. My adult ball pythons get fed every 2 weeks to a month with a medium rat no bigger than his mid section, your’s does not look underfed. As far as his living situation its great that you have him in better conditions. Maybe keep an eye for respiratory issues or scale issues. If something pops up maybe a vet visit will be in order. Other than that he looks like a nice ball python with better living conditions.

14 Likes

I have to agree with @dsed. I think that covers what you was looking for and could not have said it better myself.
Just keep an eye on him, comfortable and fed. Nice of you to take this over and help out.

7 Likes

This was exactly what i was thinking and appreciate your answer and agree with you. I have 2 very good vets near me in case of any issues. Right now I am leaving him alone and lightly monitoring temps, humdity and behavior the first week because he is a little overwhelmed of all the changes, but seems to be pretty confortable right now.

7 Likes

It was hard decision to take this over I primarily keep colubrids, but I couldnt leave him with that person and before I went to go check him out I absolutely made sure I got all of my husbandry research done! He will be in a 90 day quarantine extended if he goes on a hunger strike until he can move into my reptile room. Thanks for the response.

6 Likes

I agree, he looks pretty good!
The downside with ball pythons is that size can be really difficult to pinpoint. For example I have an adult male that weighs 2300grams. Another that weighs in at 1100. Both are on the leaner side as I don’t want them to become obese. The larger male will go on food strikes if he’s fed too often and gains too much so that’s pretty nice of him.

The general rule of thumb is as said above, about the size of where they’re largest around. Another guide is usually 10% of the weight. But having a good eye for symptoms of an overweight BP is also important regardless.

5 Likes

Well I cannot add anything to what has already been said by way more knowledgeable people than me regarding ball pythons. I can, however, send blessings and good wishes to you for imho saving this poor snake’s life! :pray::heart::snake:. Sooner or later the putrid “water” and the filth in his cage would have probably killed him. God bless you!

4 Likes

After some much needed humidity and correct husbandry he looks even better. He was def. Dehydrated. Thanks for your help

5 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. After 3 days this is how he is looking now!

5 Likes

Snake is looking really good.

1 Like

Wow! He looks like a very happy dude! I am so glad he is with you now!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::blush:

2 Likes

He looks great! When I got an adopted BP, she was supposedly 2 years old and weighed barely more than a hatchling and had stuck shed all over! Previous own said she wouldn’t eat anything bigger than a pink mouse. She was so thin… I got her in a high humidity tub, gave her 2 water bowls, hot spot in the upper 80s, cool side upper 70s. She shed perfect right after, filled out a little just from the dang water, then I tried a medium mouse. Took it just fine. She is on XL Mice now and probably 500g at least!

Plus she was always in a ball, terrified. I’d sit with her for a few minutes a day. As she got healthier and slowly got comfortable she’d crawl around a little and explore. Now she isn’t scared of me really at all, doesn’t ball up, even stays calm if I soak her or need to put her in the cleaning tub (while I clean her enclosure I mean)

Adopting in general is rewarding and awesome, plus it got me, a boa guy, into BPs! Lol, I have another female that I plan to breed now too, go figure. Congrats on your beautiful boy!

2 Likes

Oh it’s worth noting I was told she was female (size being even more alarming) but I now think he’s a male… Long tail and I feel hemipens I think… Idc tho too much cuz I won’t breed a rescue/re-home on general principal, but it’s worth mentioning in case someone else wonders why their “male” is massive lol

1 Like

Awwwwww! What a wonderful thing you did for that animal! And now he’s not even afraid! I love stories like this one! :blush::snake::heart:

1 Like

This is food for thought! Makes sense to me! :blush:

1 Like

As a note to add - ball pythons aren’t a species that you can sex by tail length. You would have to pop or probe it to know for sure.

I agree with you on the notion of not breeding rescues, so good on you. I’m glad he/she is recovering and growing happily with you! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Slime is usually from algae not bacteria

1 Like

not too sure about the leopard, it would have to be very low expression.

Yeah I haven’t sexed for sure, just going by look and feel. She’s a little big for someone as inexperienced with BPs to pop, but I did feel a bit and I lean toward male, not for sure really (only thing I’d wanna know for is size honestly lol) Boas are easier to tell without actually popping, tail and feel etc it’s more obvious for sure, at least in my limited experience by comparison to long time breeders.